help needed

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by mihai, Jan 6, 2007.

1. mihai

mihai Member

Is anyone who knows what's happening with my orchid and I have to do to save it?
    Very grateful to any advice.
    Thanks
    Mihai
    Photos attached.

Attached Files:

2. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Firstly, we need to look at what it is growing in. Are there drainage holes in the container? If not then your roots are likely rotted away. If it's planted in the mossy stuff they often come in, then your roots are likely rotted away.

M.

3. mihai

mihai Member

I attached 2 photos with the pot and the roots. I hope they are clear.
    The pot is from clear plastic, I bought the flower in it last year.
    The roots are not rotted because I wattered it every 2 weeks but on the inner walls of the pot appear something green. I got the flower off and clear the pot and change the bark mix with a new one. Nothing happened. Have any idea?
    Thanks a lot.
    Mihai

Attached Files:

4. terrestrial_man

terrestrial_man Active Member 10 Years

Toss the plant. It has virus. Be sure to clean up the area where any
    parts of it may have been and wash up. Especially if you plan to put another plant there.
    Then go out and buy a new plant being sure to look for any spotting or leisions on the leaves such as your bottom image shows.
    And unless you sterilize the pot, use chlorox, I would toss that too!

5. mihai

mihai Member

Thanks a lot "Terrestrial man". I supposed something like that, I tossed it already ; the problem is that this plant was just between a dendrobium, a catleya and another phalaenopsis almost touching them because I don't have much room, I live in an apartment and I have 19 orchids. Is it possible that the others being infected?
    Have I separate them? Is it possible to infect also other type of flower?
    Thanks for your precious help, much obliged.
    Mihai

6. terrestrial_man

Mihai,
    The primary way that virus is spread is if you trim one plant with virus with a knife and then use the same knife without sterilizing it and trimming another plant that has no virus.
    The main consideration should be if you handled the virus plant and then did any trimming of leaves or old flowers or repotting of any plant without having washed your hands.
    The only other way I can think virus might, least probable but a possibility, is for virus infected material to fall into a pot which you have just repotted and have broken some of the roots in doing the repotting. It is a long shot but direct contact might occur in such a situation.

For those plants that have been in direct contact with the virus one I would wash off the area of the leaves that came in contact just in case. I don't think you have to worry as long as you did nothing to cause a break on a leaf or root and then contacted them after handling the virus plant.

Quarantee your plants before placing them with your community or be extremely selective on what you buy. It is difficult as some plants seem to have virus no matter who you buy it from.

Happy growing!

7. terrestrial_man

Mihai,
    to change the subject. How about telling us about your other plants! What have you got and how are you growing them. Where do you buy plants from there in Romania. Are there alot of commercial growers or do you buy over the internet from growers in other European countries. !!
    And what is your favorite too!!

Cheers.