Help Needed, What is this and how do we get rid of it

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by DarylSeed, Oct 9, 2010.

1. DarylSeed

DarylSeed Member

This is on most of our 65 houseplants, we would like to know what we can do, we have removed the worst infected but don't want to lose them all.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Files:

2. homerS

homerS Member

Re: Please help with Houseplant pest

not a very clear picture, but have you tried any pesticides yet? I don't really like to use them myself but if they are all over they might just keep multiplying! Good luck!

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks like mealybug.

4. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Could be mealybug, although it's hard to see, and I don't see any of the actual bugs. The best in the house is to use an insecticidal soap. This is a contact spray, so you need to spray the entire plant, and wipe off all the bugs you see, and do this every week for at least 3 or 4 weeks, then you might have it under control. It is harmless to everything except the bugs. A systemic is better, but is very toxic, so I don't like them, and especially not in the house. If it is mealy but, it will be hard to get rid of completely, but repeated use of an insecticidal soap will keep them under control.

5. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Yup! I'd say Ron's right. My personal solution is a bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol and a large package of cheap cotton swaps. Dip the swab in the alcohol and start wiping. Paying special attention to undersides of leaves and near where leaves attach to stems. Also google mealy bug controls on the web. There is a ton of info there.

On 65 plants this is going to be a monumental undertaking. Some of the spraying methods mention on the google sites may be easier. Good luck....barb

6. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Sometimes I mix the alcohol with the soap. The cotton swab method will work, but if you also spray the entire plant, you will get into some areas that the swab can't get at.