Help needed to identify the orchid

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Lara, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Lara

Lara Active Member

Hello,

I bought this orchid from someone, but she doesn't remember the name of this plant. Please, help to identify it. The colour of the flowers are yellow-greenish when just open and then turn yellow.
    Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Appears to be a member of the Phalaenopsis tribe. It is likely a hybrid, and as such finding a "species" name will be quite difficult since it is likely no longer a species orchid but a hybrid orchid. Hybridizers of orchids love to take pollen from one species (or hybrid) and apply it to another species (or hybrid). In short order, any trace of the original species is lost. It is only possible to determine the tribe.

This practice often produces a flower that is similar to other hybrid orchids. As a result, without a close examination of the actual flower it becomes difficult to determine which hybrid variation you may be growing. The hybridizer does almost always give the plant a new name. Many are registered with the American Orchid Society. But it will be some name they elected to make up.

There are numerous websites on-line with many photos of hybrid Phalaenopsis orchids. You might try looking through those sites for a possible match.

3. Lara

Lara Active Member

Photopro, thanks for answering. I know that it is phalaenopsis, but I don't know the name of a hybrid. I have checked a few sites, you are right, it is difficult to identify exactly the plant even if you look closely and compare the flowers. There are so many of them looking almost identical with the slight differences, and computer view doesn't help much... I found that the Goldbery x Taida Lawrence looks more like my plant, but again, it is difficult to say.
    Thanks again
    Lara

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

The real problem is, without the actual flower to compare, you just can't make a solid determination. This has been a major problem for collectors who receive plants without tags for many years. Although hybrids may be very similar, the width of the flower, number of flowers in an inflorescence, and numerous other factors are involved. Regrettable, but with photos on a website you rarely, if ever, have all the detailed information and optional views of the flower required to make a determination.

There are now multiple thousands of hybrid variations. Hope you luck onto the right website!