Help needed for hibiscus!

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by Lara, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Lara

Lara Active Member

Hello, I'm new in this forum. After reading for a few days topics and not finding anything related to my problem I decided to make my own post.
    I bought this Hybrid "red velvet" at Home Depot. When I was choosing the plant I saw that the door on the back of the store was open (from another side was open the door for customers), so all plants were exposed to a cold wind. I know that Hibiscus doesn't like wind...anyway...I brought it to my house and plant dropped off all buds.
    I know that with a change of the environment it could happen, but there is another problem that bothers me: the lower leaves have black spots on then (mostly on the side that face the ground). Some of the leaves were yellow, but yellow leaves stoped appearing as soon as I cut them off and watered the plant. It seems my Hibiscus like Orchid fertilizer! I checked for the insects...didn't find...(may be they are too small to see ?). I cut leaves that have black spots off, now plant developed some new buds or leaves (they are too small to know whether it is leaves or buds). At the same time the lower leaves become coloured with black spots again. I cut them off and put some soap on the leaves and stems. I'm afraid to do anything radical in terms of chemicals unless I know it is necessarily. Someone told me it is a normal thing for Florida's Hibiscuses to have those spots. I that true? Should I panic as I do?
    I really love this plant. I'm so stressed out that I can't sleep at night... I get up and check my plant all night. I don't want it to die. Please, help me to manage this problem.
    Here is the link for the photos:
    [​IMG]
    I will appreciate your suggestions
    Lara

Attached Files:

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Lara,

It looks like your hibiscus has a fungal leaf spot disease which could be black spot. I could even be aphids as I can't see the photo clearly enough.
    http://www.geocities.com/hibiscusred/bug/fungi.htm

You could make your own fungicide. I recommend the apple cider vinegar for leaf spots and black spot.
    http://www.ghorganics.com/page15.html

Hibiscus will get yellow leaves from time to time as they grow, so not to fret. Here's some helpful growing info.
    http://www.trop-hibiscus.com/gindr.html

Now get some sleep! Happy New Year.
    Newt

3. Lara

Lara Active Member

Hi Newt, thank you for answering! I will try the apple cider vinegar. I'll give an update in a few days.
    Yes, I will get some sleep!
    Thanks again and Happy New Year!
    Lara

4. Newt

Lara, you are so very welcome! I look forward to the update.

Newt

5. James D.

James D. Active Member

I suggest giving yout plant i little bit of a prune and to pick off any newly formed flower buds while it is getting better, because this will allows all the plants energy to go into the leaves and not flowers. it doesn't sounds like bugs to me unless its spider mite, they cause leaves to turn yellow and drop. the black spots are either a fungas, or just dying cells in the leaf due to the cold wind. your plant should be fine just kep it moist and in the most sun you can give it, fertilize about once every 2 weeks and keep it at a weaker solution, it not growing that much in the winter. the best thing to do is to sacrifice blooms for the health of the plant, i know this seems backwards but it will greatly help you plant, and when it look healthy and is growing well ( in a few weeks) you can allow it to flower again. hope this info helps.

6. Newt

I agree with James about removing flower buds if your plant is very stressed. Pruning now could cause a flush of growth though, unless you are removing dead wood.

Newt

7. Lara

Lara Active Member

Newt and James D., thank you very much for your suggestions. I found on my orchids something that looks like a spider' web and a little insect most likely a spider mite (I checked information and photos about insects on the websites). My poor Hibiscus is near orchids. Here is what I have done: I cleaned all my plants, even though my orchids are blooming, most of their roots are rotten, leaves have spots that look burned with witish colour inside. Some leaves have black spots; stems have larger black spots. I did cut all damaged leaves and roots, washed plants in the sink. I used disinfectant to clean the wounds (hydrogen peroxide and alcohol). For Hibiscus I did the same thing: cut damaged leaves. I also changed compost for all my plants. I planted Hibiscus into orchid's compost (bark and moss), it seems that he likes it. I decided not to use any chemicals (pesticides), because my plants are so weak right now, I'm afraid the chemicals will kill them (especially one orchid that have no roots anymore). Every day I spray them with apple cider vinegar recepie that Newt suggested. Hibiscus is trying to produce flowers, but they dry out and fall off. I pruned it so much, so it looks very pitifully. If all that will not help, I will have no choice to use chemicals. There is another recipie to treat mites: garlic with mineral oil. Has anyone tried it?
    I will post photos and an update in the next couple of days.
    Thank you for your support!
    Lara

Attached Files:

8. Newt

Hi Lara,

Hope your hibiscus and orchids are doing better. I would suggest that you spray every 5 days and not daily. That would be too much for your plants.

Newt