help! my schefflera's a monster!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by leaf kotasek, Dec 23, 2009.

1. leaf kotasek

leaf kotasek Active Member

my schefflera actinophylla is getting rather large for my tiny home. are these plants particular about how you prune them? should i cut through the main stem or should i just remove some leaves (not the leaflets...)?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Leaf, we used to grow these in our yard in Florida and they all turned into monsters (literally). I used to just whack them off and the plant never appeared to shed a tear.

3. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Active Member

"Do not be afraid to prune your Schefflera back into shape if it gets out of control. This is one houseplant who will bounce back better than ever after a nice complete pruning."

From here.

So, go crazy :)

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

One of the few plants I have encountered in the jungle that I have absolutely no problem whacking with a machete. It seems to make them even happier.

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Do you recommend this technique for midwinter in Vancouver, or would results be better if leaf postponed the surgery till warmer weather prevails?

Yeah, I know that the plant is indoors---but somehow plants still seem to know what time of year it is. Duration of sunlight, perhaps. I know that my own major cutbacks are more successful if I do them when my plants are outside in sun and warmth. My surmise is that they are growing faster and so recover more quickly.

6. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

It will recover just fine at any time of the year. It will still send out new growth at the same time in the spring as it would before being whacked.

LeafK, you have to cut stem and not simply petioles to prompt branching. Cutting a leaf off at the petiole is pointless.

7. leaf kotasek

leaf kotasek Active Member

dude, thank you guys so much for your help! i'll start whacking this very afternoon... thus regaining half our living room... :D