Help my Phalaenopsis!

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by ehsieh, Aug 20, 2007.

1. ehsieh

ehsieh Member

My phalaenopsis seems to be suffering from a strange growth in its potting mix. I noticed that the bark and soil in which my orchid is potted is covered with a strange, white cottony growth. The growth consists of tiny white structures that look like eggs or beads that are less than a millimeter in size all massed together in fibrous white cotton-like stuff. I have no idea what this stuff is. I'm afraid to water my orchid for fear of spreading a fungus or releasing an insect plague.

Please help me identify what this is! Also, some of the roots of the orchid have shriveled and others have some black tips, but others look just fine. And the leaves don't appear to have any insect pests, are dark green and have no spots on them.

Hope to hear from someone on this issue soon!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  2. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

It appears to be a fungal growth on the potting media. I would definitely recommend a repot into new orchid mix (for Phals usually a medium to coarse mixture of bark, charcoal, perlite, sphagnum moss and others). This means total removal of all material around the roots while being careful not break the roots. Orchid bark media is usually changed every 1-2 years depending on conditions (wetter/warmer conditions will accelerate the breakdown). Be sure to repot into a container that is the same size or only slightly larger (smaller if you have to trim off dead roots). Judge the condition of the roots (pale silvery white when dry to green when wet) and trim off rotting roots with a sterilized cutting tool. Give Phal light, water and fertilizer within it's limits and you'll have a healthy plant again (hopefully with blooms) in no time. Good luck.

Shaun

3. ehsieh

ehsieh Member

I used some Physan on the medium, basically, diluted it as instructed and poured some into the pot. Will this kill/harm the orchid as well or no? I also have no idea how to dispose of the remaining dilute Physan solution.

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Shaun's advice is very sound. I wouldn't attempt to kill the fungus, just get rid of all the potting media and start over with clean, fresh, new media.

This should be done annually on any orchid. Once a fungus begins it is a strong indicator the media has become fouled. Bascially, it is decomposing. That is expected if the media is not changed often enough.

As for the disposal of your mixture, I'd check with the manufacturer. But removing all the old media, washing the roots carefully, and repotting is the only way to assure yourself you've disposed of the problem.