Help my Orchid is dying....

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Stormidae, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Stormidae

Stormidae Member

HI, I really need help, I recieved an orchid as a gift, it was purchased at a local grocery store as an easy to grow orchid. I recieved it after the blooms had fallen off, so its a stick with leaves atm....but I love it....and now one of the leaves is turning yellow.

I hate to admit this here but Im the great and terrible plant killer, I have even managed to kill off catctus...and I really am trying with this plant. I was told to water it, only give it two ice cubes a week. I just went and got 20/20/20 plant food, and have not used it yet, I know it needs a bigger pot and have looked into that, but keep seeing different times in which to transplant/transpot...it...

Please help.

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

NO ICE CUBES!!!
    Post a photo if you can---sounds as though your plant may just be losing a leaf, as they do naturally from time to time.
    Take a deep breath, and calm down! And do NOT call yourself a 'plant-killer'!!!

You probably have a phalaenopsis, Generally speaking, it should do OK if you are giving it moderate light and temps. Is it in bark or moss? Keep in mind that phals are epiphytic, meaning that they naturally grow with their roots dangling in the air: this is how they absorb moisture/nutrients. Some of the roots are SUPPOSED to be hanging out of the pot.

I water mine thoroughly (in the sink) once a week or so, and mist daily. Tepid water, let stand overnight is good, to dissipate the chlorine frequently found in many municipal water systems. Hold off on that fertilizer for a while. Ditto the repotting. Give us a photo so we can run an eye over your plant---I'm thinkin' that it's probably OK.

Welcome to the Forum, Stormidae. We will do all we can to help!

3. Stormidae

Stormidae Member

Thank you so much for your reply. It does seem to be one leaf atm, I have one root peeking over the top of the pot atm, which it wasnt doing that yesterday. The room its in atm has little light, one window to the west and one to the north, but not much light at all. I will be moving it to the Kitchen with a east window when I find my plant hanger, as I have a cat who loves to nibble on green things, so it has to be where she cant get it.

I must admit, I did find it odd that the flowershop in the store would say to use ice cubes....when I feel most plants dont like cold. So no more ice cubes.

I looked at all the orchid pictures I can find it does seem to be the Philo....big named one. and I will post a picture as soon as I can. I have limited computer time atm.

again thanks. Im happy to be here.

4. Stormidae

Stormidae Member

This is my plant. Sorry it took so long to post the pictures.

Attached Files:

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Your phal looks pretty good...does the pot it's in have drainage, or is it in one of those clear plastic pots within a decorative pot with no holes in the bottom? Be sure that when you give your plant a gentle spray-down in the sink that the water moistens the roots and DRAINS OUT immediately. Never let your phal sit in a puddle!

Hmm...true that most orchids don't mind being potbound (in fact some prefer it) but yeah, I think that you might consider repotting. (I prefer bark over moss.) Be a good time to take a close look at the roots, too, both the ones inside the pot and out. (When you do repot, leave the outside roots outside.) You want moisture in there, but not a swamp-like environment. See if your phal is growing new roots: these should be kinda silvery-gray, usually with a green tip, on the outside roots. New roots can come out of the plant, or new growth can occur at the tips of old roots. ---Hey---you might even get a new leaf here pretty soon!

Thanks for the pix, S. Just maintain: so far so good!