Help, my new hops are dying

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by DavidGx, Jun 9, 2008.

1. DavidGx

DavidGx Member

My baby hops, about two weeks old, are starting to die; the shoots are turning a light brown at the base then they wilt and then the shoot dies. I started two different hops plants, two different varieties the other one is doing great.
    I live in south florida and am growing these in a greenhouse that is temperature controlled and the hops are grown with drip irrigation. One is doing great and the other is dying. Any ideas? Please help!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Sounds like a pathegenic agent such as a bacterium or fungus is attacking them near the soil line.

3. DavidGx

DavidGx Member

I think that it may be too late now - all the shoots have died, but the rhizome may still be alive. Any suggestions on what to try? Could this have been Verticillium Wilt, and if it was how do you treat that, I couldn't find anything.

4. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

This sounds like good old "damping off".

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page13.html

It plagues many of us at seed growing time. I used to always use a product called
    "No Damp". I am not sure it is available in Canada any longer, but should be around in the US. It comes up readily in a google search.

You can also try using chamomile tea and compost tea as a soil drench, or google "damping off, remedies".

Once the seedlings keel over, toss them. They won't come back! Get some fresh flats going and try again.