Identification: Help? My House Plant is Flowering?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by jcollinsj, Jul 1, 2006.

1. jcollinsj

jcollinsj Member

I don't know what kind of plant this is, but I have had it for about 8 years. It has not been doing well lately, but the STRANGEST thing is happening. It is a like a small tree trunk and the plant grows from the side of the trunk (out of the bark). Each new leaf comes up from the middle and it grows straight up. Well a few weeks ago, the new leaf coming out turned into a stem, about a foot long.....then the stem started shooting out these spore looking things......the the spore looking things started blooming......now my whole house smells like...some kind of perfume or flower....the whole house.

Can you tell me what kind of plant this is and what is happening? Is this normal?

I attached pictures, I hope I did it right. My e-mail address is jcollinsj@aol.com

Thanks,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
  2. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

I believe it is Dracaena fragrans 'Massangeana', Corn Plant. Folks don't often get to see this one flower indoors! A treat for you! Do they have a nice fragrance?

3. jcollinsj

jcollinsj Member

I LOVE the fragrance!!! is my plant okay? I have to say it is quite an amazing sight to see! everyday it gets stronger.

4. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

that is just wild to see that flower .. you are so lucky .. and the plant is doing just fine .. :)

Marn

5. Fury2G

Fury2G Member

Cool!
    My brother in law's plant flowered a couple of weeks ago as well. It is a very cool sight. The smell reminds me of lilac. He hadn't done anything special with the plant. It's sitting in a corner near a window, waters it irregularly and thats it. I'm almost positive he has never used any fetilizers or anything on that plant.
    Its cool to see other get to experience the flowers as well.

6. Buzzbee

Buzzbee Active Member

thanks for sharing the pictures. I had a corn plant for over 15 years and it never flowered. You must have the golden touch!!!