Help! My Chinese Money Plant is dying!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by juliacmatthews, Jan 17, 2010.

1. juliacmatthews

juliacmatthews Member

Hello Everyone,

I found, after YEARS of searching, a chinese money plant. Its now lost almost all of its leaves since I bought it in October, and has only started to sprout one little new one, which hasn't gotten very far.

I'm wondering if anyone has has had any luck with this plant. I really don't want it to die since it took me sooo long to find!

Thanks everyone!

Julia

Here is a picture of it before it lost all its leaves!

Thanks Everyone!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2010
  2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

well, this makes FOUR plants commonly called 'chinese money plant'!!!!

i've seen this one before - can not, for the life of me, remember it's name. either the latin one or the common one (which was not chinese money plant, twas something else).

i think it may be an aroid. not sure though.

3. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

4. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

I know zip about this plant but aroids are monocots in the family Araceae while Pilea peperomioides is a dicot in the family Urticaceae Juss. For this reason as well as others the plant cannot be an aroid.

These terms refer to the way the embryonic or first new leaf of a seedling plant first emerges.

Monocots or monocotyledons are members of one of two major flowering plant groups (known as monocots and dictors) which containing 50,000 to 60,000 species recognized by having a single seedling leaf.

Dicots or dicotyledons are flowering plants that typically have two embryonic leaves although sometimes more. There are far fewer dicots in the world than monocots.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  5. LateBloomer

LateBloomer Member

I have had one of these for many years now, a cutting from my mom's very successful plant. It likes quite a lot of water. Mine really perks up in the summer when I can put it outside. The rest of the year I have it in an east-facing window. When it is underwatered, it loses a lot of leaves as they dry up.
    ..tuula

6. juliacmatthews

juliacmatthews Member

Thanks,

Mine is actually doing very well, with the exception of a aphid infestation which has spread to some of my other plants as well since I have about 12 all in the same window. It's got babies that are growing steadily and is producing new leaves all the time. I do keep it well watered and I have it in a west facing window. I have noticed that if the leaves get wet and can't dry off (cause they are concave) they turn brown.

For the aphids i've been spraying my plants with a bit of dish soap and mostly water, however this doesn't seem to prevent them from coming back, though it does kill the existing ones. Any advice anyone? They killed my old Datura plant which really bumbed me out!

Thanks everyone!

Julia

p.s sorry if my spelling or grammar is bad, i'm exhausted.

7. moonflower2

moonflower2 Member

I am happy that your Chinese money plant has recovered, Julia. Mine seem to do well year round- outside in the shade in summer and in a south, but shaded window in the winter.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2010