Help IDing these Succulents!

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by SweetyMargie, May 14, 2008.

1. SweetyMargie

SweetyMargie Member

Hi all!

I've recently bought these succulents but have had some difficulty identifying what kind they are. I've looked through what feels like thousands of pictures and was wondering if anyone could help me out; there are 3 mystery plants:

The first is maybe a crassula of some kind???
    The second perhaps some kind of echeveria???
    And the third some method of aloe???
    I really am not sure though. I hope these pics upload or else I've really left nothing to work with...

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

1 - a sedum maybe, could be a graptopetalum or graptoveria

2 sempervivum or echeveria

3 aloe - zebrina probably maybe...there are a couple others with similar marking. could also be a haworthia.

3. AlexandraNS

AlexandraNS Active Member

The first one could also be a Crassula ovata f. variegata. Check it out in this page.
    http://www.lapshin.org/succulent/v2007.htm
    It is the first picture on the second row (click on the pic. For a bigger view)
    The other ones … I have no clue sorry:(

good luck

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I'd lean more towards aloe than haworthia for plant #3. How much sun is it getting?

5. SweetyMargie

SweetyMargie Member

When I went onto http://www.lapshin.org/succulent/v2007.htm it seemed to me that Mystery Plant #1 resembles the Sedum Lucidum, however when I googled "Sedum Lucidum" there were a lot of pictures that didn't quite look like my guy. There has been a lot of "leaf" loss on mine, which could explain why it looks so funny/is hard to identify.
    I also found this picture:
    http://images.google.com/imgres?img...cheveria&um=1&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&sa=N
    which looks like what I've got, and is titled "Echeveria Macdougalli" but when I google that name only the above picture comes up...

Mystery Plant #2 seems like it could be a sempervivum or echeveria...
    Mystery Plant #3 I think looks more like an aloe as well from what I've seen in coloring and leaf layout, but it's upward growth is unusual of the aloes I've seen.
    --All three get a few hours of somewhat direct sunlight and then several hours indirect sun. I've also put a sun lamp near all three at around dusk for an hour or so.

6. joclyn

i thought of crassula later on (already had the computer turned off) for the first one. i have something with identical growth pattern - the leaves on mine are a bit different, though. haven't gotten a positive id for it either.

2 could be a semp, an eche or even a graptopetalum or graptoveria (thought about that one, too, after the computer was already off, lol). it could also be a cross between one of the grapto's and a semp.

because these can cross-breed it can be very, very difficult to pin down id's.

3 is most probably an aloe. yes, the growth pattern is not the usual. the updated info about the lighting answers for the growth pattern. not enough light and it's reaching up for it.

they should have at least 6 hours direct light daily...8 to 10 is even better. set that light you have on a timer so it comes on when the direct natural lighting is gone and leave it set to on until the time the sun sets. you'll see better growth habit for the first and third plants.

the second one is obviously getting what it needs to thrive (looks NICE and healthy!) so i would move that one off to the side - it doesn't seem to need any additional lighting from the lamp.

the more i look at that one (2) the more i'm thinking one of the grapto's.

7. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

#1 is a badly etiolated Graptopetalum paraguayense. The leaves are distorted. (its the wrong color for Sedum lucidum. The leaves are too big for Echeveria macdougallii. Crassula always have leaves in pairs.)

#2 is X Pachyveria glauca (Definitely not a Sempervivum. No cilia or teeth along the leaf margins.)

#3 is Aloe juvenna (Definitely not a Haworthia and please, not leaning.)

All three need more light than you are giving them. Use a flourescent lamp. A sun lamp could burn the leaves.

8. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

I see Steve has already given the IDs I would have, so I'll just 2nd those! :D

1. Graptopetalum paraguayense
    2. x Pachyveria glauca
    3. Aloe juvenna

(Also, waving at Joclyn!)

9. joclyn

*waves to rosemarie*

grapto paraquayense? hmm, maybe what i have is a grapto then, too...

pachyveria glauca...never would have thought of that! i've not seen many...so that answers why i wouldn't have thought of it!

juvenna!! yeah, that's a better fit than zebrina...

10. SweetyMargie

SweetyMargie Member

Bingo X3!
    Wow. I guess my Graptopetalum paraguayense was/is in bad shape and hard to identify--well done Steve & Rosemarie. I've since been giving it more light. Could be my imagination but it already looks happier!!
    X Pachyveria glauca was a great call. I guess those hybrids are tricky.
    Juvenna was dead on as well.
    Thank you so much for all your help. You guys are life savers--literally!!