Help identifying problems with outdoor plants

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by kotlet00, Jun 15, 2021.

1. kotlet00

kotlet00 New Member

Hi everyone,

My grandmother has a lovely garden, but this year we've noticed some problems with some of the plants - namely, the rhododendron, gardenia and one more that I've currently forgotten.

I have uploaded photos here from the leaves in the hopes that someone here will help us identify what is going on with the plants. We are not sure if there is a bug problem or perhaps the weather (she lives in Lynn Valley).

Any help and advice is so appreciated!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

The leaf spots on the rhododendrons are fungal, while the others look like insect damage. For the insects, the general rule is to identify the specific pest before suggesting how to manage it, so that there is no waste of your money or time (and no chemicals used unnecessarily).

Can you a) give a better sense of the airflow around the rhododendron and b) how the plants in the garden are watered/not watered?