Identification: Help Identifying IKEA tree

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by abhinavn, Apr 11, 2011.

1. abhinavn

abhinavn Member

Hello Friends,

I have trying to identify my plant for a while and have posted at several forums with no luck. I bought this plant from IKEA a few weeks ago. I travel for work and was not able to take care of the plant, I also live in Mi where the weather is cold. The leaves started drying one by one and finally all of them dried off, I want to take care of this plant and revive it and not throw it away because it has sentimental value.

Please help me identify this plant and help me with care instructions. Please note that all the leaves have dried and fallen off and there are no new leaves. Can you please let me know how to make sure that it is not dead and how I can bring it back to good health.

In the picture taken from the IKEA website, it is the first plant (on the left)

I appreciate your time. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Looks like Dracaena fragrans 'Massangeana', Corn Plant.

3. riptidefrog

riptidefrog Active Member

It looks as though that corn plant may have met its end.

I understand that the plant is of sentimental value so take this bit of info to heart. If you go out and buy another corn plant from IKEA chances are that the new plant is an exact genetic duplicate of the old one. Both your dead plant and the new one can trace their ancestry as cutting way back through time until the point that they came from a common "mother" and were taken as cutting off of the same plant.

Hope that helps alleviate some of your feelings of loss if the plant doesnt make it.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

It might be worthwhile to ease the rootball out of the pot and check the state of the roots. If they're firm and healthy then new growth may resprout from the stem. Otherwise the stem could be cut up and propagated, assuming it is still in good shape.

5. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Anytime you buy a plant from any big box store, bring it home put in the bath tub in several inches of tepid water and soak it for several hours. A lot of the time they have not been watered well if ever and the root ball has partially or completely dried out. The soaking allows water to be wicked back up into the root ball and things usually work out fine.

If you bought it just a few weeks ago - I'd take it back, show it to them and ask for a replacement!!!! ;(((( barb