Help Identifying Dying Cactus :(

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Imbrickle Jones, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Imbrickle Jones

Imbrickle Jones Member

I'm having trouble keeping this poor cactus alive. I have no idea what to do - more water? less water? more light? less light? It's such a pretty cactus, it's horrible to watch it deteriorate.

Can anyone identify it? Once I have it's proper name, I can begin researching proper care. Of course, if you are familiar with this plant and think you know what might help it improve - I'd be very happy to hear from you on that as well!

Thanks everyone for looking. :)

*Note, you can see that the cactus is doing much worse in the second photo than in the first. It has lost many "leaves" and it's stem has shriveled.

Attached Files:

2. constantgardener

constantgardener Active Member 10 Years

Hi. I couldn't get the pic to enlarge but it looks like a burro's tail, also called Donkey tail, which is Sedum morganianum; that's a succulent but not a cactus. The leaves do drop off this plant very easily if it's touched or moved; also drop leaves if water stressed. Since it's a succulent, guess that means don't over water it. You can test if it needs water several ways including using a plant label (if it comes out of the soil dry, you water) a small rock on top of the soil (if there is moisture under it, don't water) a water meter, the "heft" or weight of the plant (that's a little experience with your plant). They like morning sun but not the high heat at mid-day, when they can scorch. Need porous, well-drained soil. They are popular, easy care plants with lots of info on the web. I'd check first that it's not sitting in any water or that the soil is allowed to dry out between watering. Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

yes, that's the burro's tail. beautiful succulent!! i've tried them a couple of times and have not had luck.

since they are succulent, they don't need tons of water. due to the nature of it's growth, it does seem to need more than most succulents. i was never able to find that happy medium with the two that i had.

what kind of soil do you have it in? what kind of lighting is it getting?

4. Sunbaked1

Sunbaked1 Member

Constantgardener is correct.

5. Imbrickle Jones

Imbrickle Jones Member

Thanks everyone!

It's receiving fairly constant indirect sunlight, maybe some direct sunlight around 2pm. I'll bet that I've been watering it too much, as when it came to me it was suffering a lack of water. Finding that happy medium indeed!

I'm going to try Googling for more answers, now that I know the name, after breakfast. But I'm curious if any of you have experience taking cuttings from S. morganianum? I'm worried that the center of the plant may be dead, and cuttings will be the only way to save it now. :(

6. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

you can do stem cuttings OR root from the individual leaves. and that sounds like a good plan if you think it's been overwatered!

i have no luck with leaves - i've tried that with many types of crassula and just don't manage it - so, i'd suggest doing the stem cuttings.

use a sharp clean knife and cut a section and then let it sit for a couple of days to callous over. put into fresh soil (preferrably cactus mix) and don't water for a week to ten days to let the plant get a bit situated. then water well and get it on a regular watering schedule.

after the cut end has dried out you can dip it in rooting hormone before you plant it - that would help spur the growth of the roots. it's not really necessary for succulents though as they're generally pretty good about putting roots out.