Help identify this Maple??

Discussion in 'Maples' started by DianeS, Aug 25, 2003.

1. DianeS

DianeS Member

Hello. I am trying to identify this Maple Tree as I would like to get a couple more for my back yard. It turns a brilliant orange colour in the fall. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

at first thought "Osakazuki" but, after reading a bit to check before answering, I am not so certain. Cant' really find an alternative though... yet. Maybe start your research there and see what you can come up with. A good author to check is "Vertrees" and "Van Gelderen", they have authored a few great maples books. Timber press is a good source.

3. DianeS

DianeS Member

Thanks for your help. I was told that this is a Canadian Maple as there are two leaves joined together at the stem (not sure if this is true or not). The tree is approx. 15 feet tall and has approx. 6-7 inches wide. I don't think it is very old, but I have no way of knowing.

4. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

As I replied to a previous post (looks and sounds similar): Perhaps 'Ichigyojy' Or some other in the heptalobum subspecies group. Could be just that, Acer palmatum var. heptalobum.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2005
  5. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I would question the heptalobum idea as I only see five lobes on each leaf in the pictures posted. Heptalobum would have 7 lobes if it was true to name.

6. Dale B.

Dale B. Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Your maple is an Acer palmatum commonly called Japanese Maple. Identifing the exact cultivar may be very difficult as many have only small differences that are only displayed for short periods of time. Yours may not be a cultivar at all and may just me a very attractive Japanese Maple. If you want several exact copies of your maple, maybe you should be asking a question about how to propagate new ones from the one that you have. The answer would be cuttings or grafting, with grafting being the prefered method. You could do the grafting yourself or have someone do it for you. Grafting is not hard to do.

7. Elmore

Elmore Active Member 10 Years

Yes, I see clearly now. 5 not seven or more segments. Just rushed into that one, clumping it together with another Id here.

8. Hi,

From your description looks like it should be Acer Palmatum "Osakazuki".
    Name Osakazuki means Saki cup-like leaf because leaves "cup" at the base just like you described. Leaf shape looks like Osakazuki or Ichigyoji. According to Vertrees Osakazuki and Ichigyoji are almost identical, except fall coloration. You mentioned it turnes orange, which would indicate Ichigyoji.
    Assuming this is Osakazuki or Ichigyoji, this tree is about 10 years old (based on height) and will grow up to anywhere between 18 and 36 feet. I hope it helps.

JM

9. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

I need some background information for this Maple. What color are the leaves when they
    first come out in the Spring? Are they tipped in red at all? Do the leaves become a darker
    green or a lighter green in color during the Summer? Are there other colors in the leaves
    in the Fall other than orange such as some leaves with splashes of red or gold with the
    orange? Are all the leaves 5 lobed or are there a few leaves with 7 lobes? Can you tell me
    if the plant is a grafted Maple?

10. sivian

sivian Member

I am searching exactly for the same Maple tree since many years. I found it in a neighboughs garden.
    Meanwhile I have a Heptalobum,an Osakazuki, an Orange dream, an Ichigyoji, very new a Saoshika and others. None of them is the same as this one on Dianas picture.
    I asked in an University for informations. they told me, that the acer must be from seeds, so it can get variable forms.
    Until now, I am not lucky to get plants from the seed or to get plants with grafting.
    Seems to be work for many years to get exactly this tree...

11. KathyKKA

KathyKKA Member