Help identify plant

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Geebee, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Geebee

Geebee Member

I've had this plant for 4-5 years and cannot remember what the name is. It's very slow growing, hasn't ever bloomed (don't think it does), and was only about 2 feet tall when I received it. Can someone tell me the name & any other facts about it?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2003
  2. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

It looks like a Strelitzia reginae, aka bird of paradise

3. Geebee

Geebee Member

Plant ID

When it was given to me, I remember seeing the tag on it & it wasn't Bird of Paradise--the leaves are over a foot wide. I've seen plants like it over 10 feet tall & I don't think the B of P gets that large, does it? I've had this plant probably more like 6 years now and it hasn't bloomed either.

4. norvellie

norvellie Member

I agree that this is a Bird of Paradise.. I have one, it was started by seed by my Son-in-Law.. it must be close to 14 yrs old now & has bloomed the past 3 years, more flowers each year. I heard it starts to bloom around 10 years.. In Hawaii it growes tall. Mine is about 4 1/2 ft now.

not much folige showing BUT here it is

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2003
  5. brittas234

brittas234 Member

I have a number of Strelizia species now growing at my residence in Spain that I originally grew in Northern England, and from the shape of the leaves in your photograph I would disagree that it is S.Reginae because S.Reginae leaves are more 'Canna lily' shaped (elongated and terminating in a blunt point), I believe it is more likely to be either Strelitzia Nicolai or Strelizia Augusta.
    On the subject of flowering, in order to induce flowering in any of the Strelizias (musaceae), which incidentally are closely related to the banana (musa), they must have their roots quite severely restricted, a 1m high plant with 4 or 5 side shoots in a 10" pot is not unusual, you will know when to repot after the roots have burst through the sides of the plastic pot. In the Northern Hemisphere keep dry and cool in Winter, with as much light as you can give it (A north or west facing window is ideal) Give shade in summer and I NEVER feed them*, they thrive in poor soil. Oh by the way, both of the species I have suggested will grow eventually, (given space) to about 4-5 Metres high and will not flower until mature [8-10 years?]
    * Although I have seen advice that reccommends one dose of 'superphosphate' in early autumn with the last waterings before winter.
    Hope this helps

6. I too have been trying to identify a plant that resembles a large bird of paradise. I was told it is a Halcambre or Alcombra. I can not remember which. If anyone is familiar with this plant- please post. i have seen it growing in water similar to the lotus plant.

thanks