Help ID my 2 maples please

Discussion in 'Maples' started by seagonus, Apr 16, 2007.

1. seagonus

seagonus Active Member 10 Years

I posted pictures a couple of months ago, but as you can imagine, pictures are not very useful in the Fall when all the leaves are off. It is now spring and my trees have fresh foliage.

Please help ID them for certain (see pics below)

Attached Files:

2. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

The first one I believe is A. japonicum 'Green Cascade'.
    For the second one it would be necessry to have more information like: leaf shape, color changes throughout the season, fall color,...
    There are many red cultivars....

Gomero

3. seagonus

I thought it might be a Seiryu? Green Cascade is listed as growing 6-8 feet tall in height. This one is more like 15 + feet and 20 feet wide. Also, green cascade has weeping habitat--does it not? This one is upright--with just the tips growing outward and twisting skyward. (??)

4. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

If the green dissectum if 15 tall, it is most certainly Seiryu. Not other green dissectum will get that tall. The red stipules and petioles are also characteristic.

Need more information about the red tree for ID -- eg, how tall and wide, whether leaves keep red color in summer, fall coloration, leaf shape when fully developed.

5. chumasero

chumasero Active Member

It seems to me that green cascade's leaf is larger than that of seiryu, despite of the height difference.

6. dawgie

dawgie Active Member 10 Years

Seiryu is the only upright, tall green dissectum. Green Cascade, although an A. japonicum, has the typical form of a dissectum -- that is, spreading and low-growing. The red stipules are another give away. My Seiryu recently leafed out and it looks exactly like the tree pictured in the photo.

7. seagonus

Yes, I think it is a Seiryu. I was looking at it again yesterday and it has those red stipules as you say and tons of red petioles. Also, as I said it is very tall and upright.