Help, I have no hips (on my roses)

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by flowercents, Oct 20, 2009.

1. flowercents

flowercents Active Member 10 Years

I have two rugosa roses and neither of them have any hips this fall. I stopped deadheading around late July. Last year I had just a few on one of my bushes. I have one Hansa and one Theresa bugnet.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I don't think these two doubles are that fruitful anyway, when I grew 'Hansa' it seemed like it had some hips but not an abundance. 'Therese Bugnet' I am currently growing but in a position where it cannot develop fully anyway.

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

did it bloom again after you stopped deadheading?? if not, or there weren't that many or the buds/flowers were damaged, you may have missed out on hips this year.

4. flowercents

Yes, it had a few more blooms, especially the Hansa. The Hansa is still blooming a bit now.

5. joclyn

maybe ron hit it right. they're just not all that fruitful? i have 7 different types. the two ramblers are prolific hips producers; 2 of the bush types produce a fair amount and the other bush types don't ever have too many.

6. flowercents

Yes, I think that may be the case. If so, I will go back to deadheading them throughout the summer. I had read that Hansa was supposed to produce lots of hips, so I just wish that plant information was more accurate.

7. joclyn

hips are only made when you leave the buds on and allow them to mature to hips.

if you deadhead for too long, you can easily go past the point where more blooming will occur and then won't have anything left to develop into hips. you may want to stop deadheading earlier in the season (at least partly) so that you end up with hips come fall.

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I would not bother deadheading these two cultivars.