help I do not know what this tree is called

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by fudge65, Feb 25, 2008.

1. fudge65

fudge65 Member

I have a very interesting indoor tree that came with my house. It has lanky branches with clusters of shiny green dark leaves with pale yellow dots on the leaves at the end of each branch
    Since we have gone into winter months, it has dropped a lot of leaves. More watering seemed to help but now some leaves are drying on the leaf tip and curling with a brown colour. I have also noticed some small holes starting in some leaves.
    I can see no bugs or anything. I am just a newbie on this list so I don't think I can send a picture
    fudge65

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Croton?

3. fudge65

fudge65 Member

Hi Rob,
    I looked up Croton and it certainly looks very much like my plant.Is it my imagination or do the leaves have some red colour in them as well. My plant does not have any reddish colour at all.Now the leaves have started to turn brown and curl on the tips and I have noticed holes in some leaves. I cannnot see anything on the leaves.
    Is the Croton an outdoor tree because mine is and always has been indoors
    Thanks
    Nancy

4. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Many people have "croton's" in their "indoor" collection that can be put out during spring and summer and is considered a houseplant. In warmer climate's, it's grown outdoors.

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

As an outdoor Croton grower, I can tell you that there is immense variation in both leaf shap and colour. So, if the ones you saw had red and yours don't it's no indication that you're doing something wrong. I have friends in Canada who are strictly indoor Croton growers.

What kind of pot is it in? My Crots don't like to be too soggy, and if you're in a non-breathing container (ie plastic) then you might be drowning the poor thing. I'd say the first thing to try is to re-pot into unglazed ceramic in a well-draining soil, and then water-starve it a bit. I'm also a great supporter of fish fertilizing; if the idea of planting actual fish in the pot is repellent, or if you have a pet dog or cat, you can get a liquid fish fertilizer at your local greenhouse or garden center. This will do wonders for the plant's attitude to life.

Croton is a big genus within the Euphorbiums. Down here some species develop into magnificent hardwood trees (see the massive Croton lechleri or Sangre de Drago tree), while others remain short and shrubby like your houseplants.

6. fudge65

fudge65 Member

Re: my Croton tree (would a picture help?) I will re-pot it as it is in a plastic pot at present. I tend to underwater but it was dropping so many green leaves that one site I found said that it was underwatered so I gave it a really big drink and now the leaves have holes (does too much water do that?) as well as curling and brown on the tips
    I stuck my fingers deep into the soil and was surprised that the soil was still damp as I have not watered it in over a week
    I really appreciate the help here, guys. I have never seen a tree like this and it is quite unusual and beautiful. I do not want to lose it
    Nancy

7. Bluewing

The holes COULD be from fungus gnats, they look like fruit flies, can cause long streaks and small holes as they suck the juices from the leaves.

8. fudge65

fudge65 Member

That's the thing, I cannot see or feel anything at all on the leaves. I have had other people look as well
    Nancy

9. Bluewing

Some pest can be tiny, like spidermites for instance. If they are there you would see fine webbing around some of the leaves. a couple drops of a mild soap mixed with water in a spray bottles (get all the leaves wet including underneath the leaves) or rinsing just the "leaves" with tepid water can help, may need to do this several times once a week.

10. lorax

Yes, a picture would help.

11. fudge65

fudge65 Member

How do I do that?
    Nancy

12. lorax

13. fudge65

fudge65 Member

I sent some pics of my sick "croton" tree. I hope they come through so I can confirm the identity and what ails it
    Thanks
    Nancy

Attached Files:

14. fudge65

fudge65 Member

Oh, I sent three pics..........one of the whole tree
    Nancy

15. fudge65

fudge65 Member

A pic of my "Croton "tree, I hope
    nancy

Attached Files:

16. fudge65

fudge65 Member

can anyone confirm that this IS a Croton Tree? Did anyone see the other pics of the yellow leaves with the holes?
    Thanks
    Nancy

17. Bluewing

Looking at the picture you posted reminds me of a Gold Dust Plant (Aucuba japonica) although your seems to have less yellow spots, from maybe lack of brighter light? I can't be sure on the name.
    If it's just a few leaves effected, I'd just pull them off. Dry air might be the reason for the brown tips, the holes, possibly gnats.

18. fudge65

fudge65 Member

It must be the light as it is covered in lovely yellow spots but now whatever happening is progressing as whole clumps of leaves are hanging perfectly limp. It seems to be something different everyday. I am either over or underwatering for one thing

19. Bluewing

Maybe the the limp leave are on might have dried up for whatever reason and can be pruned off.

My sister says she keeps her tree outdoors in the warmer months (south carolina ) under and open porch where it gets some sun, not a lot and bright dapple shade and that she lets it dry out before watering it if that helps any.

20. fudge65

fudge65 Member

The soil was bone dry so I gave it a good drink (with good drainage) and I sprayed the leaves that are full of holes with an all purpose Fungicide/Insecticide/Miticide
    It's below zero and we are knee deep in snow so for now it will stay inside. The pictures that I saw online looked "exactly" like my plant (Gold Dust Plant) but mine is very bonsai looking.........long lanky branches with groups of leaves mostly on the ends of each branch. The pictures I saw online were dense and bushy. Maybe mine needs some type of fertilizer

21. lorax

More light! It's leggy because it's reaching out.

22. Bluewing

Once it goes outside when it's warmer, You gold dust would benefit with a good pruning! You can cut all of the stems halfway back, or even down to 6 inches above the soil resulting in a new flush of growth that is more full, lush and healthier looking.

Good luck with it!