Help Help! Bugainvillea in Toronto!~

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by magymae, Jun 12, 2007.

1. magymae

magymae Member

Hi everyone! So glad your here! Im in desperate need of planting this very lovely purple climbing bougainvillea that I got for a steal (9.99$) at a local market! Just a beauty but im unsure of what to do with it! I live in a zone 4 with clay soil in my backyard which gets plenty of sun throughout the day ... however .... this bougie .... I am thinking should go into a pot and probably climb right? I would also like to know since I live in a climate where it might not survive the harsh winter ... how would i care for it in winter? Just leave it in the ground and prune back a bit in spring? Or do I bring it in? Cuz I really have no space for it! Also, if I plant it in moist soil, will it survive in a planter?

Thanks!
    M

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

It will not survive the winter outside in Toronto, in the ground or a planter. It can remain outside as long as it's not frosty but after that, you need to find an indoor location for it, preferably a cool spot. It's spring flowering so don't cut it back in winter because it forms its flower buds the previous summer.

It should grow well in a pot or planter, with moist soil that you allow to somewhat before watering again (doesn't like WET soil) and will prefer full sun. Are you sure you're zone 4? Toronto is zone 5b to 6b depending on where you live. In any event, you need to be zone 9 for outdoor success with this one.