Hedges: help for my new cedars

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by vicki robinson, Jun 21, 2008.

1. vicki robinson

vicki robinson Member

we just moved to sooke bc from alberta and planted 18 emerald green cedars. we dug a good trench added good soil and watered in well. the bottoms are going brown and i don't want to lose them any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    How deep did you plant them? I am not a real expert but I have had good luck planting conifers and I follow the instructions on the label to the letter, which usually indicates to plant them so that the level of the soil in the pot or at the top of the root ball is placed in the ground so that it stays the same -- i.e. not burying it deeper. Also they require lots of regular watering while getting established. Perhaps one of the real experts here will respond...

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Check original soil balls for moisture problems. May be dry despite watering, the water not penetrating. Or they could be too wet. In future plant with same soil throughout entire potential rooting area. Mulch after planting.