help for clematis care

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by MouserChloe2, May 7, 2008.

1. MouserChloe2

MouserChloe2 Member

I have a clematis from PC super store and it is labeled as a Grade B only. Now that I will be re-planting it to a larger pot with lots of container drainage while situated on a pallet, I need to know what type of soil to use from the local supermarket. Unfortunately, I do not have transportation to a nursery.
    There is a small amount of white mold growing on the moss on top soil of the plant outdoors. Any suggestions about this as well are welcome.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Pot deeply, with crown buried in product labeled for growth of trees and shrubs in containers. Mold and moss will disappear when new potting soil is pot over top. Use same material all the way down to bottom of container, if "lots of container drainage" indicates gravel, shards or whatever have been placed in bottom - take these out. Water draining through the potting soil will back up when encountering this layer of dramatically different soil texture, thus creating worse drainage rather than better.

3. MouserChloe2

MouserChloe2 Member

Yes, I am providing lots of container drainage, however, using just the potting soil...your idea that mold and moss will disappear when new potting soil is put over top is helpful...thank you.