Help! Flys in the plants!

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Woodsprite, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

I have LOTS of houseplants. When I'm watering I've noticed these tiny gnat or fly-like critters flying out of the soil.
    What are they and what can I do about them.
    I love my plants they are my babies and I don't want to lose any of them to these tiny nuisanses.

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Sounds like you have fungus gnats. A good way of controlling them is to modify your watering, if possible, to allow the soil to dry out somewhat between applications. A review of threads containing [search]fungus gnats[/search] may prove useful.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2006
  3. Fury2G

Fury2G Member

Last summer I had a gnat invasion. I mean tons of these things (almost ashamed to say it). I found that it takes an all out attack on these things to rid them from your home.

Things I did.
    1. Yellow sticky fly tape (even though its unattractive it works)
    2. Cut back on watering, and losening the topsoil once a week
    3. Placed small trays of lemon juice in the each plant (this worked the best, you won't believe how many gnats you catch..try it you'll see)
    4. Lastly I added systemic granules to the top layer of all of my plants.

4. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

Thanks Fury2G, I intend to give your suggestions 2 & 3 a good college try! I'll let you know how the work!

5. Woodsprite

Woodsprite Active Member

Thanks JungleKeeper, I will try your suggestion as well. I'll let you know how I do!