Help, Ficus tree dying from traumatic move

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by kiwigirl, Feb 12, 2007.

1. kiwigirl

kiwigirl Member

I need some advice to save my formerly beautiful 2mx2m ficus indoor tree. It has suffered a series of moving stressors and I think the latest is terminal. I've had if for 10 years and I'd be gutted to loose it. I'm prepared to do what it takes to save it - but I need 1st Aid advice.

I moved to a Auckland and the plant was with a moving company for 2 weeks and on arrival lost 30% of its leaves. It recovered in the 6 months there. Then I moved back to Palmerston North and it was in storage for 3 days and expressed no symptoms of distress after arrival.

One year later (Oct '06) I moved to Dunedin and the plant was with the moving company for 6 weeks and on arrival it was dry and only had 53 leaves (i.e. 95% leaf loss. Yes I counted them for my "baseline"). I guess that was due to no light and no water (not what they promised). However, the branches felt resilient and alive. I placed it in a room that was rather dim and undertook paliative care (regular waterings, some liquid fertilizer, but left the soil intact). It was holding its own and had some leaf buds when I went overseas for a month....

I'm just back and am not sure how it was cared for. Now it has only 15 leaves! The new leaves had died. I just moved again (5 mins in the car) and it has been in a very light room for 2 weeks.

I am unsure how to go about saving it. Some branches are wisened and brittle, but many are resilient and green still. There is evidence of wee buds - but I'm not sure if they will come to anything. Note I have only changed the potting mix once and that was at least 5 years ago. Some of the 15 leaves have dark spots - did it get over watered in my absence?

Should I repot it (Could shock it more)?
    Should I prune it?

I'd appreciate some advice on how to save it
    Cheers

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

First, make a firm little scratch halfway up the trunk. If there's green under the bark, it's still alive, but if not, it's not. Secondly, have you tried putting a clear plastic bag over the whole thing (maybe a clothes cleaning place would have one) and leaving it on (untied at the bottom) for a few weeks? Don't water unless all the soil's dried out - leafless plants can't use it. Do keep it in very good light, but keep an eye out for too much condensation in the bag - a little is good, a lot will encourage big trouble (so intense direct sun should be avoided til the bag's off). Don't prune it or repot now. Do consider getting another tree because yours may just have had too much stress. Was there no other way to transport it except to leave it in a dark truck for 6 wks?

3. kiwigirl

kiwigirl Member

Thanks for the reply. Reassuring. :-)

I have cut a couple of branches previously and can confirm there is green in many places. So it appears to be hanging in there. Plus there are about 10 wee green shoots - but will they come to anything? Shall I cut off the obvious dead stuff?

Also I decided that 50 leaves don't need much water - but suspect that is got no water, then overwatered when I was due back form holiday! But now its getting pretty much no water as the soil is damp. But thanks for the reminder that 15 leaves need little sustenance.

What does covering it in a big plastic bag do? (?keep it warm and moist and buffered from extreme conditions?) Over the whole plant, or is over the 15 leaves sufficient? (I am sensitive that folks reading this will be laughing at me counting the precious few leaves!).

[And on a cynical angry note - the moving company said they'd look after the plant. But it is obvious that they lied, or forgot and didn't give it water or light. But what can I do now? Hopefully TLC will save it.]

Well, I shall carryon then as I am. But when do you reckon I could repot it? Now to find a big plastic bag...

Thanks for the reply and reassurance to maintain the status quo.

4. kiwigirl

kiwigirl Member

Hi Rima,

Wow - my tree has burst into life!!!!! :-) Seems to like the new home and conservative treatment (i.e watching it!).

It is covered in buds, has 20 new leaves and many more popping up.

So should I give it liquid fertilizer every 2 weeks to help with the big growth??????
    When should I re-poting it and prune it?????
    I reckon it will be covered in leaves in about 1 to 2 months and you suggested not to repot or prune at this stage - but you didn't say for how long.

Any thoughts??
    I'm so happy