Help: Failed attempts for Gardenia Jasminoides

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Srenaeb, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Srenaeb

Srenaeb Member

Hello,
    I have 3 gardenia jasminoides (at least, the nursery tag said so) that are about 5 years old now. They have been indoors the whole time. I wanted to take clippings for a friend, and did the following:
    clip branch about 5 inches long with a angled cut
    dip bottom of cutting into root growing powder (STIM-ROOT#2 0.4%IBA Rooting powder)
    put clipping in little jar of water, wait for roots

every time the little plant beings to blacken and wither after a few days =(
    no roots

1) the powder instructions say plant into rooting medium, and I read elsewhere that for gardenia you can use water as medium. Is that wrong?
    2) my gardenias have been blooming since last january. Does it make a difference if the cutting branch has buds on it? I can't find branches without any buds on them.
    3) what is the ideal length/number of leaflets on a clipping?
    4) is there another way to propagate? =P after 4 failed attempts I feel bad about clipping more from my plants

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  2. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Any rooting hormone you've applied, washes off as soon as the cutting hits the water, rendering it ineffective.
    Try a Google search for "Rooting Gardenia cuttings" --- there's plenty of info there.

3. Brenda Weeks

Brenda Weeks Member

Gardenias are easy to root as long as it is done at the right time. You MUST wait until teh plant is in bloom. Cut a stem with a flower, wound the tip about an inch or so, and place it in a glass of water and forget about it for a couple of weeks. The flower will naturally wilt, but you should see the beginnings of roots after a few weeks in water. There is not need to use rooting hormone when doining it this way. I've rooted the larger Cape Jasmine varieties of years using this method and it never fails. Oh, and be to put the glass with the stem on a porch outside where it is protected or in a sunny window sill.