help - bad fuzz on stems

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by carlisa7, Jan 24, 2010.

1. carlisa7

carlisa7 Member

There is a light brown fuzz growing on the stems of my daughter's bonsai tree (see the attached images, especially image 3 which is a close up). Also there are some small clear crystals on some of the stems and leaves. Some of the leaves have small dark spots, and some are dying. What is this and how do we treat it?

Also, if anyone can tell me what kind of plant it is, that would be appreciated too.

Thank you for your help.

Attached Files:

2. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Looks like it has aphids. Don't know what the brown fuzz is. Someone else may have a better diagnosis, but the first thing I would do, no matter what it is, is wash it off. Get the plant into a sink or tub, and hose it down - wipe the infected areas clean. Keep an eye on it, and use an insecticidal soap on the whole plant once a week for three weeks. I could be way off, but that's what I would do.

Don't know what kind of plant it is.

3. carlisa7

carlisa7 Member

A follow-up to my original posting. Another search of this forum leads me to believe that our mystery bonsai is Serissa foetida. I took it to a local nursery for help. They said it has aphids, so will treat it for that. They also said that the brown fuzz is part of the plant...that's a relief!