Hello!

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by RUNE, Feb 16, 2005.

1. RUNE

RUNE Member

Hi! im new here and to all greenery.Wonder where i could place the following post or if anyone may help me.Nice to be here.

HI! Do not know much about gardening , but have question:

This is a paste:

I live in new jersey.It gets really frigid here for many months in the winter.My back yard

has a fence area that I need cover for.The area I wish to cover is 8 feet high by 20 feet

wide. I was hoping maybe there is a fast growing and very frigid/heat/bad soil tolerant vine

that I might use for cover.Also I am wishing on a vine that is also pleasant to look at and

controlleable.That is that it will not take over the neighborhood or cover my entire

property-hehe!

Any help is greatly appreciated as I seek some privacy in this back yard. Thanks again.

Oh by the way.Im hoping on a vine that will not die due to cold or heat.But then again I do

not know much about gardening.Thanks for suggestions.

Please email me: tinyrita@comcast.net

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Tiny Rita,

Sorry, but I don't respond to personal e-mail addys. If you have registered here you should get an e-mail from this site that you have a response.

I realize that you are new to gardening so I need some questions answered and would like to share some information with you. The info first.

The type of vine you are looking for is called a perennial. It will grow and live for many years. Perennial vines don't usually grow quickly unless they are invasive and take over the world. :) Most need two or three years to establish their root systems so they can support all that top growth and blooms.

Annual vines grow fast, but only live for one year. They grow, produce flowers and seed and then die.

Because of this I would suggest you choose a perennial vine to plant and use an annual vine for 2 or 3 years until the perennial vine is established.

With all that said, New Jersey has hardiness zones from 5 to 7. Some vines that will survive in zone 7 won't survive in zone 5, so I would need to know your plant hardiness zone before I make recommendations for a perennial vine. Here's a zip code zone finder. Once you know your zone, get back to us on this post.
    http://www.garden.org/zipzone/

The other thing I need to know is the sun conditions where the vine will grow. Full sun - 6 hours or more; part sun - 4 to 6 hours; part shade - 2 to 4 hours of sun; shade - 2 hours of sun or less.

Newt