helleborus

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by greenapple82, May 15, 2009.

1. greenapple82

greenapple82 Member

HELP!
    I have a beautiful helleborus. Dark burgandy flowers when i bought it. It has a ton of new folliage but It's lost all of its colour! I still have quite a few new buds coming out, but they are all flowering with no colour, just green. what can I do?

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Could a seedling from the original or a nearby plant be growing there and taking over ? Haven't heard of hellebore flower colours reverting that much , but maybe.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  3. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Are you saying the new flowers are opening green? That is pretty surprising.

I have some burgundy coloured hellebores here, and the old flowers are now quite green looking, along with the seed pods in their centres. The flowers on hellebores are actually mostly sepals, more like leaves, (with colour of course). As they age, they do revert to a more greenish or pale tint, but at least they do persist more than the "flowers" of many other plants.

I would say any new blossoms on mine now are less colourful than those a month or two ago...this isn't the main flowering time for these plants any more and those blooms are not the best indication of what will be produced each spring in the primary bloom time.

4. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

The splendor of Hell. is in Jan-March... fret not... the greening is typical now and for our climes and to be expected for regeneration of the plant... the winter coming will be the new joy of winter past.