Heirloom Apple Tree

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by mbreisch, Aug 2, 2008.

1. mbreisch

mbreisch Member

I need to clone a 70 year old apple tree. I was thinking of trying Whip and Tongue Grafting.

Anyone have any advice?

2. mbreisch

mbreisch Member

How come no one ever responds to my posts. Am I blacklisted or something?

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Most named apple varieties are propagated by grafting and T-budding. Some of the more vigorous varieties can be reproduced by softwood cuttings. Air layering may be done, although roots may not develop for several years. Commercially, apples are propagated mostly by whip grafting. Home gardeners usually find cleft grafting, bark grafting or T-budding the most practical method. - Millet

4. mbreisch

mbreisch Member

Is it hard to do - I mean is it hard to get the grafting to take? How many is a good number to start? Does it matter how big the twig is that I use? What about the root? Should I dig out away from the tree and try to get a root(s) the same size as the twig(s)?

Thanks

5. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Of the three grafting the simplest and most successful for beginners would be T-budding. First timers should have 50 percent success. Bark grafting is also a easy graft with high success. If you put the words in your search engine you should get a lot of hits, and even some video. - Millet

6. mbreisch

mbreisch Member

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know.