Health benefits of 'forest bathing', the act of being among the trees

Discussion in 'Plants: In the News' started by wcutler, Jun 9, 2017.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

chimera and Junglekeeper like this.
  2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Huh. Didn't know there was a name for it. It relaxes me even more if there is a water source within the forest. Even a stinking sulphur bubbler in sand here among the palms and live oaks or a narrow brackish inlet into a mangrove swamp will amp it up. Many people here hate that I have so many trees, but it pains me to see so much lawn. Thanks, Wendy, now I have more to support my advocacy for trees and shrubs.

3. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

New/ Additional information:
    Forest bathing | Green Shinto
    Conclusion:
    A study of 585 Japanese people published last year said that city dwellers were “constantly exposed to stressors” and that “urban living is associated with increased risk of health problems”, including anxiety, depression and psychosis.

It concluded: “The psychological benefits of walking through forests are very significant … Urban planners should pay more attention to maintaining and increasing accessible greenery in urban areas. The beneficial effects of nature suggest a simple, accessible and cost-effective method to improve the quality of life and health of urban residents.”

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    wcutler likes this.