Identification: Haworthia or Aloe!?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by JenRi, Nov 29, 2008.

1. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Hey guys!

Just bought this succulent today (Come on it was 20p + free saucer:D) just wondered if anyone could tell me what it is? My first thought (more likely hope!) was an Aloe but I think the leaves are a bit fat...

Can anyone shed any light on this and tell me how to look after it (or direct me to a good website that can!)?

Attached Files:

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Definitely looks to be an Aloe. My best guess would be Aloe burgersfortensis Reynolds. - Millet

3. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

It looks like a Haworthia. You'll know for sure when you see flowers. (They are different in shape to Aloe and generally white) The hardest thing with these is that they readily cross pollinate leaving many variances in both species, add in gasteria and there are endless mixes.....

4. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

or even a young Aloe aristata

5. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Ha! Three different reponses and three different species - but on the plus we have 2-1 to the Aloe:)

Will it be easier to tell when its bigger? Or will I just have to wait until it flowers?

Thanks for your time guys!

6. tricyrtis123

tricyrtis123 Member

Although I cannot tell you the species, I can say it definetly is an Aloe, not Haworthia.
    Just my 2 cents. :)

7. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Cheers 3-1 to the Aloe:)

I had another look today and although it vaguely resembles some species of haworthia, they grow with the top of their leaves pointing inwards and not up to the ceiling like mine does. None of the harworthia have white dots with spines on the top side of their leaves either....but doesn't look exactly like an aloe aristata either - i'll do some more research on aloe species i guess!