having little trouble

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by yurikillian_sora10, Aug 14, 2006.

1. yurikillian_sora10

yurikillian_sora10 Member

We were required to have our research paper by the end of March. I plan to have orchid tissue culturing as my problem. How long will it take to growa cultured plant complete with flowers?

2. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Well I'm not an orchid expert, but they all flower at different levels of maturity. What kind of orchid were you thinking of?

3. smivies

smivies Active Member

My, you have a very aggressive timeline!

Generally, orchids spend a year in the flask before going to a community pot and depending on the genera & species, flowering occurs anywhere from 12 months to 7 years after propagation (mericlone or seeds) with the average being 2-3 years.

There is an economic advantage to reducing the cycle time from mericlone to flowering & work is being done in that field with at least one dendrobium down to 16 weeks. I suspect you will have problems getting details as trade secrets = economic advantage & doing that research work yourself will make it a career, not a 7 month project.
    Good luck & do a Google search for "in vitro flowering" orchid to get ideas.

Simon

4. yurikillian_sora10

well thank you. Obviously i'm not a plant expert....
    wish me luck guys...

5. yurikillian_sora10

i dont know what specie yet...can you give me a good one?thanks

6. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

I would choose a plant that grows to bloom size more rapidly than an orchid. Something like what we call annuals, or bedding plants that you buy for around the home might be an idea.