Have Macrozamia lucida; lacking info...

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by DGuertin, Jul 1, 2008.

1. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

Anyone hapen to have any good info on Macrozamia lucida? IIt's putting out a new leaf from being bare-rooted and bald only two weeks ago, so it's either happy, or in its death throws. :-(

I'm reading quite a lot of conflicting info regarding cultural requirements and such. Also find it rather peculiar I'm reading that it's not even threatened in its native habitat, but it also seems to be almost entirely unknown in cultivation...

First read up on this one last year or so when all the reports came out about 'hot, stinky cycad sex.' All the research they did was on this one species... Was glad to find one, even if only to have to fuss over it through the winter.

Thanks much!

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. DGuertin

Michael,

Yup, read up on everything available on-line, which is surprisingly little, considering. Rather frustrating and annoying, actually...

4. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

I suppose you have seen this
    When I googled it I got 23,100 hits!! Maybe a bit different in Australia...
    This is local to my area and I am pretty sure I have a small one.
    What info were you after?
    I have an Australian Palm and Cycad book at home, and I could possibly find out info from the local forestry, as they also sell them.
    PM me if you want me to do some local research for you...

Ed

5. DGuertin

I only get 1,330 using quotes... Really looking for optimal growing conditions. I'm in 9a/b, and we hit 22F overnight here last winter. Mainly trying to match the native growing conditions as best I can for optimal results. This new frond / leaf is opening up now (not bad considering it was a bare caudex three weeks ago tomorrow), so I'll try to get a shot to confirm the ID. It was sold to me as M. lucida, but considering they don't actually seem to be available at all in the US, I now have considerable doubts...

6. edleigh7

I checked my Australian cycad book, with limited information. Can you post a pic?

Ed

7. DGuertin

New leaf's opening up quite nicely, spreading out, and spreading doubt. This doesn't look like the M. lucida I've seen photos of. Will try to get a pic up tonight, though...

8. edleigh7

look forward to it mate

Ed

9. DGuertin

Right, well, here are photos from this morning. Haven't looked at them since I shot them, so here's hoping they look alright. Abso-bloody-lutely scoobied on this one.

As you can see, many of the pinnae are alternate, slightly rounded tips, and also slightly serrated. There are pinkish/peach coloured callouses where the pinnae join the rachis. Overall colour at the moment is a light to medium green, the pinnae are fairly pliable at the moment, and are slightly ridged. They form a V shape on the bottom of the leaf, and the rachis has now turned 90 degrees in the last few days...

Probably should wait until I get more than one leaf on it to see how the next ones look, but I really want to get a positive ID on this before winter.

Attached Files:

10. edleigh7

Interesting, I'll have a look in my book and see if it is an Aussie, so should be able to narrow t down, somewhat...

Ed

11. DGuertin

If it would help, I picked up the last three the fellow had yesterday, and they do look a far better deal like M. lucida. I think one of the biggest probs may be that these have been kept starved for water, in heavy clay, with the entire caudex exposed save 1 cm or less (!!!) rooted, and in 80+% shade. The frond I've photoed was the first put out under 40 - 50% shade, well potted, in nutrient-rich, well draining soil, and plenty of water.

12. edleigh7

OK I won't quote you all of it, unless you want me too, but here are some snippets I thought may be relevant. From "Cycads of Australia" by Ken Hill and Roy Osbourne 2002
    "DISTINGUISHING FEATURES
    Section Parazamia habit, but flat glossy leaves somewhat similar to those in section macrozamia species.
    Leaves flat, highly glossy, 0.7-1.2m long
    Rachises not twisted
    Leaflets deep green, 150-350mm long, 7-11mm wide, with stomata on the lower surface only.
    Leaflets have large white swellings at the bases.
    Petioles long, rounded, 250mm-500mm long, 3-7mm wide..."

Hope I helped, the rest of it talks about habitat.

Ed

13. DGuertin

Helped out heaps, thanks much! Actually the habitat info would be grand. Can't quite seem to get what I'm looking for in 'sclerophyll forests,' which probably means I don't know what I'm looking for... What's the soil like? I read up that there is usually a Eucalyptus canopy, which is actually fine, as I have two species I'm growing. Major thing I need to know is what the lowest winter temps tend to be in M. lucida's habitat. Just got the bloody things, don't want to loose them in three month's time!

14. edleigh7

Daryl (I think), the habitat ranges from northern New South Wales border to Maleny. I am in the middle in Brisbane, so I would say minimum temps would be around 5 degrees C.
    I will put some more on the habitat next time I am on at home. Should be here within a couple of days.

Ed

15. DGuertin

Ed,

Yup, pretty close; off by one 'r' ;-)

5C makes me think I'll probably need to over-winter it in the greenhouse, or bring it in, as we hit -5c here overnight one day last winter. May need to treat it as with the Zamia vazquezii, as it reportedly can't handle below -4C (though I read exactly the same about M. lucida over on Dave's Garden).

I tend to take all species quite seriously when it comes to cultural requirements, after all, I bought them to grow them, not to kill them, so I'll likely play it safe and bring them in at nights, but try to let them over-winter outo f doors as best as possible.

Thanks much for all your help. Good on yer mate!