Has Anyone Tried Hydroponics?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by KENNETH5636, Nov 7, 2007.

1. KENNETH5636

KENNETH5636 Active Member

Hi guys,

Has anyone out there tried successfully, or unsuccessfully to grow plants etc hydroponically, and if so, what was the end result, as I am considering having a stab at it myself.

Any help or comment on this would be gratefully received.

Best regards,

Ken.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

yup. did some tomatos, peppers and basil. what type of system are you thinking of?
    I did a flood and ebb type system. I have also run root misting systems and a constant drip system.

3. KENNETH5636

Thanks for your prompt reply Jimmy,

I am in the proccess of a flood and drain system build, all is going well at the moment.
    I decided to build my own system as all the ready build are not what I want, and they cost and arm and a leg!

Plus, my system is designd to work on 12volts, mains power, greenhouses, water, & human beings don't really go together! So, I've had to do a bit of lateral thinking to get the 12volt gear to make it all "Ackle"! Have aquired all the gear now, am now in proccess of putting it all together.

I've made my own timer (so I can vary the flood and drain period bit o.k.) I used a handful of I'Cs and other odd components, it works a treat, all in all, with the box and bits I had already, it cost me about £6-00!

Have you any photos of the produce growing in your system Jimmy, as all the others show their systems, but, nothing growing in them. I believe a picture paints a thousand words, seeing is believing!

Best regards,

Ken.

Get back.

PS I will send photos of the finished small system when it's finished.

4. jimmyq

I dont think I have any pics any more, it was about 5 years ago the last time I ran a system. At that time I was a sales rep for a fertilizer company that specialized in organics and hydroponic retail products. I set up a drip system at one store and a flood and drain system at another store. I also set up a system at my parents place back then to try tomato growing but it wasnt a good weather year and they didnt fare so well.

5. KENNETH5636

Hi Jimmy,

How successful were you with any of your systems, or any other of the systems, apart from your parents setup?

Get back,

Ken.

6. Dave L

Dave L Member

A SUPER easy method is Deep Water Culture, also known as the bubbling bucket method.

I have successfully grown some serious pepper TREES with this method. I utilize 4 gal buckets with holes in the lid to seat net pots and medium (hydroton). My plants are started in those nifty little starter tubes or rock wool whatever I happen to have on hand. Once rooted up I move them to the buckets with mild nutes. I usually start with CFL lighting but graduate to MH (400watts). My buckets are aerated with a simple aquarium pump (30-60gal) and some air stones.
    With this method I am able to grow my beloved hot peppers year round!! The only issue I have struggled with with this particular method is keeping the solution below 70F as lack of O2 and unwanted micro growth can occur at higher temps.

7. KENNETH5636

Pictures,....pictures, I Must Have Photo's Of Your Setup With The Pepper Trees Growing In Them!

I've Made A Setup Using All The Griff I Can Find Online for a "Flood and drain system, (I will Send Photo's When Setup Is Complete).

But, There Is Nothing Like Info from someone that has Successfully "Done It", So To Speak, So I Shall Be Bending You Your Ear For Any Info/griff You Have!

Get Back,

Ken Of England!

8. Dave L

Dave L Member

We got hit late this summer with a nasty storm and I lost a good strain I have been revegging, I need to start again from seed, so I will be able to walk you through the whole process. The thing that erks me is having to restart from seed from a time perspective. I may cheat and see if I can find a local green house that has some left indoors for cuttings (that will be a challenge)
    But this will be fun.
    I can't seem to find pics of my peppers from indoor, as I took them back when I first started and haven't taken any since. I do have some of my outdoor organic grow of Beefstakes and jalepenos and habs in containers.
    The peppers were purchased from a local green house as seedlings. By August those beefstakes were out of control.

Attached Files:

9. KENNETH5636

Dave!...........All I can say is "WOW! If that's hydroponics, way to go Dave!..................I am convinced now!

Am at the last stages of my system, I'll send piccies in a day or two when it's finished and ready to go!

PS, What's "Hydroton",...............Some sort of Nuclear additive? Judging by your photo, it must be!

Warmest regards,

Ken.

10. jimmyq

hydroton is an expanded clay pellet used as a growing medium.

11. Dave L

Dave L Member

indeed just clay pellets used to support growing plant initially, then typically gravity and root mass will do the rest.

So not to confuse, that pic is from an outdoor organic "soil" grow, although not really what one would think of as soil, more like a soiless mix of peats perlites vermiculites etc.

Definitely up some pics so we can help along the way, it may take some of the trial and error out of the equation.

12. KENNETH5636

Thanks for your offer of guidance setting up and running my Flood & Drain system Dave.

Attached Photo is my Dual timer for my system, it has Dual times for the flood and Drain times! I.E, you can vary the Flooding time and the Drain time!

The timer only cost a few £=$ to make. I will send the circuit in case you or any of your friends can use it!

I was going to send you a photo of my system, but, as it's in the greenhouse at the bottom of the garden,& it's freezing cold, I'll send it another day when it's a bit warmer!

Best regards,

Ken.

Attached Files:

13. KENNETH5636

Hi Dave,

Attached circuit for dual timer!

Best regards,

Ken.

PS. It's all tried and tested, any queries, e3-mail me!

Attached Files: