Harvesting Green Tomatoes...On Purpose

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by monkeydog, Oct 12, 2008.

1. monkeydog

monkeydog Active Member

We're at that time of year when the tomato plants slow down and are even slower to ripen, and we put the fruit in bags, under newspaper and in the window sill trying to get those last few ripe tomatoes. Thought I'd take to minute to extoll the virtues of the often overlooked green tomato.

The unripe fruit is definately more popular here in the south than it is on the rest of the continent, not sure why though. Fried Green tomatoes...sliced, floured and dipped in egg wash or cream and coated with bread crumbs and fried. Delicious...any number of sauces compliment the slightly tangy tomatoes.

When I pickle my okra I always add quartered green tomatoes. Pickle them in vinegar, salt, and chopped garlic. The tomatoes will remain firm if not over cooked in the water bath canner and are very tasty. Green tomatoes are also excellent pickled sweet with sugar substituted for the salt, and red onions mixed in.

I also take half or quartered green toms and roast them along with tomatillos under the broiler in the oven. Peel off the blackened skins and add to sauteed pork or chicken with a bit of onion and peppers and it makes a good filling for tortillas.

The tomatoes also make a very good jelly or jam. it's good by itself, sometimes I also add a pureed ripe pablamo pepper into the jam. It's not hot, the pepper adds a nice flavor and the contrasting red pieces offsets the green jelly quite nicely. Tastes very good on a bisquit with fried ham!

I love a good ripe tomato as much as anyone, but them green ones are awful good too!

2. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Well stated, and I couldn't agree more. During the Winter months I only eat tomatoes fried. I can't stand those hydroponic tomatoes, and frying in butter makes them palatable. Actually your description makes my mouth water.