hardy trailing verbena

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Takana_Hana, May 31, 2006.

1. Takana_Hana

Takana_Hana Active Member 10 Years

Last year, i purchased one hardy trailing verbena (homestead purple) and i found a patch of native trailing verbena in a pasture. I dug up the native species, and planted them and the homestead purple in the same area. Together they both covered a 20 sq. ft. area, they looked beautiful last year. This spring i noticed that the native species came back, but the homestead purple didnt. I covered the whole area w/ straw to protect them from the cold winter. Just this year I purchased a new homestead purple to replace it. Is there anything that i can do to insure that the homestead purple will survive through the next winter??
    Thanks

2. Raakel

Raakel Active Member

Hello,

Verbena 'Homestead Purple' is hardy to zone 6. The hardiness zone for Mendon, Illinois is zone 5. Your Verbena 'Homestead Purple' will not survive the winter. If the native species is thriving, perhaps you should just stick with that. Otherwise you will have to plant the tender plant each year.

I wanted to make a note about collecting plants from the wild. It is strongly discouraged as this threatens native plant populations. Look for native plants in the nursery. They are less difficult to find as the trend in native plant gardening increases. Some nurseries are also guilty of collecting wild plants. Ask a grower where he obtains his/her material. If it is wild collected choose another supplier.

Raakel

3. Takana_Hana

Takana_Hana Active Member 10 Years

im a prairie conservationist of illinois.. it is my job to go out and dig native plants to study their growth habits.. and all of my plants are grown on a prairie plot( a field set aside for native plants growth) they are naturally out there reseeding each year, just as they would in the wild..

4. oscar

oscar Active Member

I lost Homestead purple here in the UK Zone 8/9