Hardy Rose Ideas?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by artnerd, Apr 5, 2012.

1. artnerd

artnerd Active Member

I'm looking for ideas for proven, disease-resistant roses that do not require spraying, and are hardy in our wet coast climate. Positions will be in almost full sun, or close to it on good soil. I am relatively new to roses,and am keen to hear from those who have been growing them successfully and organically in this climate. Especially interested in the unique or unusual, with a preference for blooms that have a wash of changing or different colours, (Like an old-fashioned cottage style look) with a moderate to heavy rose scent. Fragrance is a must in my imaginary little rose utopia...

- A smallish climber, not too vigorous, ideally not too thorny if possible, max @ 10' tall.
    - A floribunda, or other repeat bloomer (also not crazy thorny - is there even such a thing?), suitable for near a patio, and will stay under @ 4' tall & wide.
    - Any other fragrant repeat bloomers/shrub/rambler ideas for a mixed bed?

Countless hours of googling suitable candidates & the oft conflicting info has left me boggled, so I thought hey, why not just ask the local experts? Epiphany!

Thank you in advance.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Accounts vary apart from usual reasons with plants in that rose disease presence varies regionally and even within the same bailiwick.

You might be interested in 'Aloha'.

3. artnerd

artnerd Active Member

Thanks Ron B, "Aloha" is now officially on the shortlist, it's one I had been contemplating... I've also just put in a "Munstead Wood" for near the patio, and the first rose I added last year when we bought the house was "Carding Mill" to scramble over an old stump. Time will tell if I chose wisely or not, but will be adding more as the garden gets transformed. Cheers.