Hardy geranium

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by Kara, May 1, 2006.

1. Kara

Kara Active Member

Hello,

A couple of days ago, I visited a friend's garden and he had quite the collection of hardy geraniums, and offered some to me.

They appeared in a mass planting, and looked like they haven't been cut or tended to for some time. I saw him grab some of the green areas that just started to sprout, but none of the pieces seemed to have any roots.

Is there anything I can do with these pieces? To me they almost appear to have green at both ends of a 12 inch piece and no roots, at least that I can see anyway.

Can I cut them to size and replant? Or what should I do with them? I placed them temporarily into some soil for protection but need to move them into a more permanent spot once I know what to do. Never had geraniums before. hehe

One is extremely scented, but I wouldn't say it's pleasant, but a rather powerful scent. Any idea on what that type it is?

Thanks,
    Kara

2. oscar

oscar Active Member

Its probably Geranium macrorrhizum it would have been much better to have had a piece with some root.....replanting the pieces you have in the ground is worth a try.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Water frequently and provide shade until rooted.