Hardiness and placement of Osmanthus fragrans thunbergii and 'Nan Jing's Beauty'

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by bcgift52, Jul 23, 2006.

1. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Osmanthus fragrans thunbergii and 'Nanjing's Beauty' - I just picked these up and would be interested to know if anyone has experience with these for hardiness or should I be finding a protected spot close to the house for these?

2. yellowthumb

yellowthumb Member

Hi Bcgift,

May I ask you where you got your Osmanthus Nanjing's beauty? I really want to buy these wonderful plants but I live in Ottawa. If there is a mail order nursery who carry this beautiful plant, that would be wonderful.

Thank you

Tao

3. yellowthumb

yellowthumb Member

Hi Bcgift,

Although I never grow this plant outdoors, but I read lots about it. My wife's hometown has so many large trees. The regular osmanthus is suppose to be hardy to zone 7. You need a protected spot to grow this outdoors. Gave it as much sun as possible. A well drained soil is a must. Most importantly, it doesn't like too much fertilizer, very salt sensitive, I learned this from a hard lesson.

Tao

4. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Hello

I got the Nan Jing's Beauty from Art's Tree Nursery in Richmond, BC but they don't do mail order and in any case they don't have anymore.

The plant originally came from a wholesaler called Piroche, also here in Pitt Meadows, BC but I believe they are temporarily shut down while they deal with SOD's (sudden oak death). When they reopen again, I plan to get a few more plants from them so if I hear of anything, I'd be happy to email you.

I have my osmanthus in protected areas and so far they are doing great. Thank you for sharing your experience with them. Now if only they would flower for me - they had a rough year because they were moved this year to my new home.

5. yellowthumb

yellowthumb Member

I tried Piroche, I got mine three years ago, but it died because I put too much slow release fertilizer. Again, it's very salt sensitive. The Osmanthus love organic fertilizer, it needs sun to flower well. Too much shade is great for the foliage though.

Piroche will have Osmanthus ready fall 2008. That's too long to wait.

Thanks

Tao