Hard to find apple variety

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Brian Q, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Brian Q

Brian Q Member

Looking to find either a dormant scion this winter or a grafted young tree of the variety "Holstein". A Cox Orange Pipin Cross. Very tasty, desert quality apple that performed well in the Pacific Northwest. October ripening. Does anyone know of a nursery or grower that may have that variety?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

According to The Plant Locator - Western Region (2004, Black-Eyed Susans/Timber) has been listed by Greenmantle Nursery, Garberville CA in the past.

3. Brian Q

Brian Q Member

I checked their website and they do list Holstein as a variety that they sell. They don't sell scionwood, but they do sell grafted young, which will fit the bill. I appreciate the tip. Thanks They have an incredible array of hard to find varieties.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Fruit, Berry and Nut Inventory: Third Edition (2001, Seed Savers Exchange, Decorah):

Bluebird Orchard and Nursery
    Christian Homesteading Movement
    Cummins Nursery
    Edible Forest Nursery
    Erik's Edible Orchard
    Greenmantle Nursery
    Southmeadow Fruit Gardens
    Sonoma Antique Apple Nursery

5. Brian Q

Brian Q Member

Do you have copies of both those? (Plant locator and Fruit, Berry Nut Inventory)?
    I hadn't thought to try the Germplasm Repository at OSU Corvalis. They may have scionwood. I'll try each of those other nurseries that you provided from the FB&N Inventory. I remember Southmeadow Fruit Gardens from 30 years ago, Sonoma as well.

Greenmantle has a great website, I liked this quote from their website:

"Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust - we all dance to
    the mysterious tune intoned in the distance by an invisible piper ."

- Albert Einstein (1879 -1955)

6. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

Brian Q. You might try the people on Memorial Hiway at the WSU Expermental Gardens. Or you can call Don McMoran, at WSU County Extension Office, 11768 Westar Lane, 360-4270. ext. 225. Maybe he can get you in touch with someone East of the Mountains in apple country.
    Maybe you are already aware of the above info since you are here in Anacortes. Just a thought. barb

7. silver_creek

silver_creek Active Member

Try Jones Creek Farm, near Sedro Woolley- he has quite a variety planted and sells scion wood.