hanging basket with coconut liner

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Erica, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Erica

Erica Active Member

Hi there- I bought a hanging basket with a coconut liner in hopes of making my own baskets this year. Do you just plant these normally? Is there anyway to plant stuff so it grows out the sides?
    Thanks, Erica

2. Erica

Erica Active Member

This is what it looks like.

Attached Files:

3. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Hi Erica,

I don't see why you wouldn't plant it as normal. As for growing out the side, fill the basket with soil up to the level you want the plants to grow out from. Then rip a whole in the liner and insert the rootball of the plant from the outside, thought the liner and through the basket. Then fill the rest of the basket with soil and plant the plants in the top. You can't plant seeds so that they grow out the sides, but if you start the plants yourself or get them from a shop then it should work fine.

Good enough?

- Michael

4. Erica

Erica Active Member

I think I can do that!Thanks Michael.

5. Dixie

Dixie Active Member

Also, don't be afraid to really cram them in there. they can be planted much closer than one would think. you will get a grander effect this way. make sure to throw a little osmocote in with your soil mix, it will make a big difference. if you are planting vines or cascading plants, you can tilt them to where they are already growing towards the outside.