Handicrfts from waste.

Discussion in 'Photography and Art' started by Nandan Kalbag, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Nandan Kalbag

Nandan Kalbag Active Member

I have been making some handicrafts, which are a part of my Gardening hobby. Most of the handicrafts are made from scrap items (paper, thermocol, cloth etc) or from Bamboo, grass etc. Many of these aitems I use in my Table-top-landscapes. The Machan landscape is completely made of thermocol, including the tree trunk. Only the shelter on the trunk is made from bamboo.

Attached Files:

2. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Very cool Nandan. What exactly is thermocol ? I did a search and all I can garner is that it is produced in India. I am attempting to do miniature scenes in troughs (styrofoam boxes in disguise) so would be interested to know what you used for your pond.

3. Nandan Kalbag

Yes it is styrofoam, here in India, we call it thermocol.
    Thanks for your quick response

4. Nandan Kalbag

Sorry I forgot to add Machan photo. here it is.

Attached Files:

5. Debra Dunaway

Debra Dunaway Active Member

Wow Nandan! You are very talented!! How long does it take you to construct one of these peices? It looks like a lot of work! Deb :)

6. Nandan Kalbag

Thanks bcgifts52 & DEbra. The stone-like base of the landscape is made from pieces broken from wate styrofoam packing material. Depending upon the size & type, it takes about 6-8hrs. to make one. The cavity of water holding pool is coated with epoxy adhesive. To apply it by brush I use epoxy thinner to make it of brushable consistency. To give the effect of stone, the styrofoam is burnt/molten with soldering iron. Then it is coloured with acrylic, non glossy colours. I grow semi succulent plants plants in tiny container caps. Such plants & cuttings of such plants or very rarely plastic plants are used for decoration.