British Columbia: Hand pollination

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Dum Thumb, May 5, 2011.

1. Dum Thumb

Dum Thumb Member

My apple trees are in blossom now and not a bee to be seen, Mason or otherwise.
    I there a way I can pollinate the trees myself. I have heard a feather duster will carry pollen from one tree to the other.
    Is there any truth to this or another way.
    Thanks
    John

2. Tex

Tex Member

I have this mental image of some guy walking around his yard holding a feather duster, dusting his fruit trees... and I'm laughing my *** off. hahaha...

Sorry, I can't help, I just find that really funny. Might even work!
    :D
    Tex

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2011
  3. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

You can use an artists paint brush (not a painters) to each individual flower, although this would take a long time. Perhaps a feather duster would work better?

4. danc

danc Active Member 10 Years

Not funny for me anymore, because I already imagined myself doing that if need be. Now the problem for me is not the lack of bees, but the lack of flowers. Unfortunately I can't do anything about that.

5. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

John, that is what many Chinese orchardists now must do, given that the honeybee is in serious decline in that country thanks to habitat decline and environmental degradation. It is crazy, but pollen is collected, packaged and sold to orchardists, who hire workers with little pollinator brushes to touch pollen to each unfertilized blossom.

Tomato growers often augment wind pollination by using a paintbrush to ensure blossoms are fertilized. A lot easier on a tomato plant than a fruit tree!

May I suggest you augment your garden/orchard instead with pollinator friendly trees, shrubs and flowers? West Coast Seeds sells a pollinator blend, or you can plant things from the bee forage list on the Earthwise Gardens Feed the Bees page. And consider installing a beehive! Most lower mainland municipalities now permit back yard beekeeping. They are fascinating and delightful little creatures, bees.