Halls' Honeysuckle that won't bloom

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by artnerd, Mar 29, 2006.

1. artnerd

artnerd Active Member

I've had a Hall's Honeysuckle in a large pot for 3 yrs now, it grows very vigorously but has never had a single bud on it, even in 6 hours of sun every day, in a warm & dry area. Now that I have a proper yard, I will be planting it in the garden in the hopes that it will flower this year. Is it maybe the fact that it was confined to a pot? I fertilized periodically in the growing season, to no avail. Hoping it will like the garden situation better.

2. Takana_Hana

Takana_Hana Active Member 10 Years

in illinois, honeysuckles are native and have very large root systems.. your problem is probably that the roots are cramped in a pot

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

In summer that would equate to shade most of the day. May just need more light.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Entirely different species (and cultivar) than the native one to Illinois - so what may hold true for one may not for another (though I don't know for sure)

5. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Artnerd,

One reason it isn't blooming could be because you are fertilizing it. Most perennial vines will grow lots of green growth and few flowers if overfertilized. Vines also tend to take their time establishing their root systems so they can support all that top growth. It can take 3 to 5 years before they mature enough to bloom.

Hall's honeysuckle is the invasive pest -Japanese honeysuckle- Lonicera japonica 'Halls' and is not native to the US or Canada. I shovel pruned mine when I realized what it was as it was mismarked when I purchased it. Here's some info with pictures.
    http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/esadocs/lonijapo.html

Newt