Hakonechloa - plants to compliment

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by Barbara Cameron, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Barbara Cameron

Barbara Cameron Active Member

I have the most beautiful Hakol (yellow-green grass) that is 13" tall now and I need some suggestions for a broad-leaf, dark green perennial or evergreen to plant behind it to show it off!
    I'm completely re-doing my pint-sized garden (100 sq. ft") this fall and want the Hakol to be the focal point in one of 2 areas. I have a dark green Astilbe behind it now but in recent years the Astilbe hasn't performed as well as it has in the past.
    Any suggestions?
    I'm getting so excited about having a completely new garden that replaces the grass (our conditions have never been good for grass) with perennials and ground covers.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Hakol - plants to compliment

Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola'? Maybe an evergreen fern would do what you want, and you would enjoy adding some other things.

Companion plants: The gentle texture and cascading habit make this a fine companion for other contained plants like blue-leaved specimen hostas and ferns or to team with a Japanese maple.

--Colburn, Plant Solutions for Every Garden (2006, Timber Press, Portland)

Zeigler, The Harmonious Garden (1996, Timber Press, Portland) thinks it contrasts well with Sanguinaria canadensis.

3. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

4. Barbara Cameron

Ron B and Newt,
    You're right about the name. The tag came with Hakol so I just have called it that since I got it a few years ago. I'll look up Ligularia and see if it's what I have in mind. Thanks to you both.

5. Barbara Cameron

Just found a great site for shade perennials and a great possibility - Blue River of Hosta. It has grey-green leaves and grow 30-60cm tall. Would look lovely with the dark green Astilde and my Hakonechloa I think. Now to find it!! I'm completing my new garden in the fall and so plan on going to all the garden centres when they mark the perennials down for the season. I'll see what I can come up with, but the Hosta looks promising.

6. Newt

Barbara, you are very welcome! Glad you found something you like. Look for Hosta fortunei 'Hyacinthina' as that is the botancial name of Blue River of Hosta. There are many different large blue hostas, so if you can't find that one, you are sure to find others.

Newt

7. Barbara Cameron

Newt,
    Thanks for the info. When I start my search for my new plants (goodie!!), I'll certainly look for Hostas.

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You might be able to change the title of the thread, replacing "Hakol."

9. Newt

Barbara, you are very welcome!

Newt