British Columbia: Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola' rehab

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Apartmentgardener, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Apartmentgardener

Apartmentgardener New Member

I bought a specimen early fall for my apartment balcony garden. It did ok until it got really walloped in a wind storm. Almost all of it died, and there are only two or three green leaves left. I've brought it inside (near a cold door) and have tried to baby it with water once a week.
    Does anyone know if it will come back? My balcony faces NW in the Lower Mainland. I could protect it better from the wind than I did, but being a grass I thought it could take it.
    Anyone have advice?
    Thanks.
    Christine (Apartment Gardener)

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not sure what happened in the windstorm, but this is not an evergreen plant. There is one at the entrance of the Garden here. It has only a bit of green--the leaves are brown and fading for the season.

3. Apartmentgardener

Apartmentgardener New Member

Thanks, Eric. Maybe I'm assuming the wind did it, though this happened before the recent frost. Now that I've had it inside for about two weeks, do you think I should put it back out or keep it in for the winter?

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Probably better back outside in a sheltered spot that won't freeze. Wind might have dried it out.

Apartmentgardener likes this.
  5. GlennR

GlennR New Member

This isn't a reply, but another question about hakonechloa. How much cold can they take? I got 3 plants for my birthday through Amazon. I thought that the greenhouse would wait a little later in the Spring, but here they came at the end of March. They've been in the garage under a plant light and they look good. Our weekly forecast shows dipping down to 35 F one night later this week. Is it safe to tuck them in the garden as it is 81 F now?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2020
  6. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Charts I'm looking at suggest it can tolerate very cold temperatures - as low as -20F or -29C. If you're worried that temperatures may go below that where you are, you could cover it with a thick mulch over the coldest months.

7. GlennR

GlennR New Member

Thanks a lot. We don't usually get below 0 F . Perhaps once in a while, but not often.