haiwan spider plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by riptidefrog, Mar 3, 2008.

1. riptidefrog

riptidefrog Active Member

Hi i need some advice from anyone who knows a thing or two about haiwan spiderplants.

Some time ago i recieved a spider plant that was one of the baby rooted spiders. I promptly planted it and it grew very quickly into a large spider plant that snet out many little babies on airborne runners like spiderplants are known to do.

Now it has been months and the single central plant is starting to look shabby. it has not put out any new leaves and i am beginning to wonder if it ever will again. I have not removed all of the baby spider plants and i wonder if by doing so it will cause the mother plant to again start growing new leaves.

The babies came out of the center of the plant so i am doubtful that the mother plant will begin growing from the central point. I do wonder if the plant will put out offsets or pups much like a bromeliad will. At one point it did do this but that pup promtly sent out its own baby producing bract.

Anyone have any advice or experience with my particular situation? Should i discard the mother and concentrate on the babies or should i remove the babies and wait for the mother to resume growing?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Re-pot the mother. I'll bet you 10-1 it's rootbound.

3. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

spider plants like to be rootbound inorder to throw off the babies ... not sure what is happening with your plant ... but when was the last time it was repotted .. it just may need some fresh dirt ....

Marion

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Well, there's a difference between rootbound and too rootbound... Fresh dirt will most likely do the trick, though.