Gunnera plants sp?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by rosemary marsh, May 11, 2009.

1. rosemary marsh

rosemary marsh Member

Hi everyone
    I have a huge gunnera plant sp? They are huge plants with huge stems with very large leaves. My gunera is about 12 ft and a real eye catcher. Now I've heard you can cut off parts to replant and start a baby plant but I don't know how to do this. Does anyone know what I need to cut off to start a new plant. We had a very cold winter so it is just now starting to grow leaves so I probably have to wait awhile before cutting off whatever I need to to grow a new one. I wrote about my banana tree which still has not shown any life at all. I live in South Surrey British Columbia and it was a very cold winter so I hope it will come back in time. I think we need some really hot weather to get it started. It was huge as well last summer and I'd hate to lose it. We had a boughainvillea plant in our greenhouse and I thought it was dead but I noticed yesterday some buds so I'm sure glad I didn't trow it out. I think we just have to be patient this spring as this last winter was very hard on our plants, especially the tropical ones. Anyway if anyone knows anything about Gunneras I would greatly appreciate it. Happy gardening everyone.
    Rosemary Marsh

2. rosemary marsh

rosemary marsh Member

Gunnera

Hi everyone
    I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. But I wanted to know if anyone knows how to start a baby plant from a mature Gunnera plant. They are huge plants with huge prickly stems and huge leaves. Mine grows to at least 12feet. I know it is too early to do this as it's just starting to put out new leaves but I would love to know how to start a new one from this beauty. Thank you. I may have the spelling wrong so I hope someone knows what plant I'm talking about.
    Rosemary Marsh, South Surrey, British Columbia.

3. dalilover56

dalilover56 Member

I have a gunnera about the same size...same thing with a hard winter and just starting to show a few leaves. This cold cold winter killed parts of this tender plant this year.

That said I will cover it in future winters a whole lot better; with more than just it's own leaves.

To reproduce this is easy but takes some work as the tuber? with the roots is huge and the roots are themselves large. It may take some help to dig out a good section fron the outer parts of your plant. Pick a smaller "tuber" section and split it off the main plant (you may have to use a shovel or axe even to get through). Then dig up as much as you can of the root system going with it. Easy as pie. I have done it in the past around this time of year when the leaves are still fairly small.