Growth under a leaf from a Valentine's arrangement

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Connie Roskom, May 9, 2021.

1. Connie Roskom

Connie Roskom New Member

Hi! Just joined because I ran across this post after researching the strange growth under a leaf cutting in a valentine arrangement my sister gave me. It is very strange because the roses long died but the leaf is still green. It’s been sitting in water for 4 months now so I was looking for roots at the bottom of the stem which I didn’t find but found a couple little growths on the bottom of the leafs! Now I want to see how to keep them alive and maybe plant someday. I can’t find anything on line as what to do with them other than keeping my water clean. Did anyone figure this out? Here is a photo I took of my cute little growth. Thanks for any helpful info.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2021
  2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Welcome to the forums.

As stated in the referenced post, the growth in the photo is a flower.

3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

There does seem to be little information online on propagating this plant from cutting. Perhaps the following documents will help:
    I wonder if you have enough plant material for propagation. The documents suggest you need at least one node/bud on the stem. Do you have only one stem to work with? If you have more than one then you could try various methods such as rooting in a peat mix vs. water, applying rooting hormone, and providing bottom heat to the medium.