Growing Wheat grass?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Chester, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Hi there:

A friend of mine would like to grow wheat grass under lights in her home. We have a few questions before she gets started though. What kind of potting mix should she grow it in, what kind of fertilizers would be best, and how long should the grow lights be on for daily? Also, how high above the sprouts and then plants should the lights be, and would bottom heat be necessary under lights? If anyone grows wheat grass successfully under lights, we would sure appreciate hearing from you...

2. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Hi Chester--I've grown it under fluorescents, no problem. Many ways, including trays of peat/lite type mix...tho this is messier and unnecessary.

Easiest way is to soak the wheat for about 24 hours, I use a bit of liquid kelp in the water to try to get more nutrients in the juice.

Then spread the seeds over several layers of wet paper towels laid on the bottoms of the trays. After a few days they will have sprouted enough to put under the lights...usually 4 standard nursery plastic trays (which you can get at most garden centres or hydroponic shops...the ones with no drainage holes might be best for this) will fit under a 4 foot fluorescent fixture.

I think they usually took close to a week under the lights before getting to the ideal stage for harvesting.

This way you have only actively growing sprouts under the lights, saving space and energy. Just keep starting more seed every few days to keep the cycle going.

3. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Thanks for the reply. I guess I am wondering if the quality of the juice can be improved by fertilizing. My friend would like to use an organic fertilizer, and I'm not sure what would be the safest to use on the wheatgrass. She washes her wheatgrass before juicing, but should we be concerned about residues? Also, after cutting, her wheatgrass grew again. Is there any reason that this second growth can't be used? I'm thinking that fertilizing would be wise for this second growth as well...anyway, thought, comments, suggestion?

4. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

I'm late so maybe you have all your info already... I've two books on growing wheatgrass, one by Anne Wigmore, the guru of wheatgrass. (go to www.annwigmore.com) Neither of them mention using fertilizer, but stress the importance of using fresh organic wheatberries from a trusted source, and that the soil mix is a good blend of organic compost, peat moss(substitute... these were written a long time ago) and vermiculite ... the idea being it should be light and airy. However, a local business here that sold wheatgrass shots in the Saturday market used liquid seaweed fertilizer as part of their growing technique.... not sure exactly why, but they did it that way for years. I grew mine by a south window but lights would be ideal. You can keep cutting the grass, but the first cut is the sweetest and has the most nutrients. I don't bother recutting, just start a new tray every couple or three days. The root mats make great compost, so toss them knowing they'll be back, contributing to future trays of grassjuice!

5. rippan

rippan Member

Hello there,
    Can Anyone guide me from where I can get wheatgrass kit / wheatgrass seeds. I live in Surrey and have searched in couple of nurseries here.But unable to get it.
    I want to plant wheatgrass of my own to juice it for my cancer problem.
    Quick response is really appreciated.
    thanks
    Rippan

6. bedixon

bedixon Active Member

where I live, the local natural food store has wheatberries in the bulk bins. That's the least expensive way to buy it that I know of. We ordered a 10 lb bag through the store to get it even cheaper. Make up your own "kit"... a few plastic nursery flats and a bag of potting soil is really all you need to get started. And a juicer, of course. A tray will make several shots, so depending on how much you want to use, start a tray every few days to keep them coming.
    all the best , I hope it helps to heal you.

7. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

I agree that you don't need a pre-made kit...a garden centre will have the plastic 10X20 inch trays for growing, along with peat/lite mix if you want to do that instead of the paper towels. Either way, some liquid kelp might add nutrition by soaking the seeds in diluted kelp/water before sprouting them. Another product that can be useful is diluted ocean water, same idea, providing all the natural elements in a soluble form that might then wind up in our bodies. I will try to PM a source for these in case you want to try them.

Organic wheat berries are in the bulk section of Saveon last I looked, I used to get them at the Extra Foods Scott and 72nd...is that a Saveon now, I think?

The juicer has to be a special type for juicing grasses, kind of a corkscrew affair to handle the tons of fibre...you can google around for a good source of one of these if your health food store can't supply one reasonably priced.

Finally, I feel for your situation, realizing it could be any of us at any time facing the same thing. I believe a wheatgrasss regimen would be one of the first things I'd be doing, I've always felt tons of energy when I was "on" it even tho I'm apparently healthy. Good thoughts to you :-)